Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Ambush Hosting and Frustrating Read

A group of senior muckedy mucks from the New York City Transit System were due in yesterday to tour our facility and pick our brains on our experience with electric buses over the last two years. I noted this on my calendar a few weeks ago and did no prep work since this was going to be answering questions and little more. That is until yesterday morning when my excellent boss’ neck went on the fritz and all of a sudden I was in charge of hosting the entire group.
I had to get real smart real quick – never an easy task even under good conditions given the brain pan involved. They turned out to be a very engaging group, even with their Yankee allegiances fully exposed. I took them up to O’Conner’s for a typical New England (Irish) dinner which was a big success. The food was typically awesome but the conversation even more so. We live in different work worlds with our small fleet compared to the thousands of buses they are responsible for but they still seemed interested in how we did things. One of their managers had an advanced degree from M.I.T. which is something our system certainly can’t afford. I didn’t get home until nearly 11 o’clock and then had to turn around early this morning since they wanted to start their tour of the facility at 6a.m. (Yankee Fans!)

I finished my latest Kyle Mills’ book, Burn Factor, which was a tough read for most part. His hero this time out was a brilliant young female FBI analyst who stumbles upon a hidden serial killer. She doesn’t know who to trust until she falls into company with a super intellect guy who was previously her prime suspect. They are soon on the run from the real killer who’s ably supported by a nefarious defense contractor (are there any other kind?).

My main problem was the obviously brilliant pair of heroes took a full half of the book to figure out the very apparent connection the killer had with the defense contractor. I hate it when something so blatant is delayed simply as a plot device when it makes no sense whatsoever. When Mills gets them past that point and in a fight for their lives with the killer the book truly takes off. The killer is a Nobel Prize winning brain himself and would give Mr. Lector a run for his money in deviousness.  Mills is starting to grow on me but I almost gave up on this book before it started making sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment