Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Finger Crossing Time

I’m posting this just before I head out to the airport this morning for my delayed trip south to much warmer climes. The snow levels have reached historic levels and I’m more than ready to sit poolside and take a break from moving the damned stuff out of my driveway. If I post early tomorrow it will be apoplectic with disappointment but I honestly believe I’m getting out this morning.
Back Deck Drift About Half-Way Through Yesterday's Storm
The Drift has now Reached the Top of the Door
I say historic because the weathermen (spent a lot of time listening to them today) say that we’ve already set a record for the amount of snow to fall in a February – and we’re only 9 days into the month! Seven feet of snow is a little too much even for those who love the pristine beauty it can bestow upon a landscape. I used to be one of those, pre-February.
Side Door - Never Seen it This Deep
I was a little smarter yesterday as I didn’t wait for the snow to finish falling. I was out there four separate times and each time it was fairly easy to move the snow out of the way. I also scored huge points with my neighbor by keeping his lot cleared. He even came up the driveway to thank me in person – a true first for the reclusive guy.
Back Door Drift From Inside - Reaching the Top Pane of Glass
We’ve lived here for nearly ten years now and have experienced some truly cruel winters – snow wise. Nothing, however, compares to this year for sheer volume of snow. The door out to the back deck now has a snow drift nearly seven feet high and a couple of the first floor windows have snow drifts up to the middle. I’m more than ready for a tropical sojourn. If the plane doesn’t take off this morning – I may just turn right and start driving south.

Halfway Up a First Floor Window
If I don’t blog tomorrow that may be good news (on a number of levels most of you are probably thinking) because that means I am probably too busy enjoying the warmth of a nearby wife and the tropics.

No comments:

Post a Comment