Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Reality Intrusion

I’ve got some great pictures from the going away party my wife’s incredibly fun family threw yesterday but this hotel’s wifi isn’t quite up to the task of that much data transfer. That’s about the only thing wrong with the hotel though – including possibly the best shower ever invented – more on that later.

I spent the entire afternoon scoring the last of a long line of Atlas beers at the party which was thrown in the legendary laugh cousin’s house which sits right on the inter-American Highway a few miles from David. They have a covered outside patio – called a bohio – where the assembled family gathered to send me off in style.

The big meal of the day was a homemade soup called “sancocho” which is only properly made in a huge vat over an open fire; that from the purists in the crowd. Since I’m not a real soup kind of guy they also prepared a slab of prime rib and marveled at why I’d want something like that instead of the supposedly delicious sancocho.
The Hotel
My wife and her sister rescued me from all the fun and faced the very sad task of delivering me to the David airport where a forty minute flight saw me checking into the Hotel Riande Aeropuerto right next to the Panama City airport less than an hour after leaving David.
The only mistake was getting here so late I couldn’t enjoy the pool although I did add a couple more Atlai to the line. The very best thing about the hotel is the shower which was an almost religious experience. I have got to get one of these type shower heads that completely encased me in cascades of water. I think the local water levels were impacted by the time I reluctantly left the huge shower stall.

What I'm Going Back To
Now I have to face the reality of a return north and pay for all the snide tropical comments I’ve made over the past week to my frozen New England friends and family. I may or may not get on the plane to face the driveway from hell tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment