Saturday, February 28, 2015

Conquered Solitude

Sometimes you don’t realize how lonely you’ve become until someone special shows up to demonstrate how empty life is without them. My son accomplished that task yesterday when he arrived for the weekend during Frist Friday celebrations at Brew City. With all the storms, an inconvenient bout with the flu, and a hectic life with the ABFA we hadn’t seen each other since the holidays.
A Very Happy First Friday
Since he started a new job our weekly lunches are no longer possible and hanging out with him last night reminded me how much I depended on those for a weekly morale boost. If you’re blessed in life there are a few people whose simple presence is enough to immediately improve your existence. My son is definitely one of those people for me.
Source of a Very Good Friday Night
We adjourned to the house where Buddy was appropriately apoplectic at the arrival of his favorite human. They were shortly chasing each other through the house. After a Zorba’s pizza where we solved all the Red Sox problems, we video chatted with my son’s mother in Panama. He got a chance to see his grandparents and endured a maternal lecture on appropriate winter attire while I was directed to bring the phone around the house so she could visually inspect the health status of her verdant jungle of house plants. They’ve survived my care thus far and it’s only a couple more weeks until she’s back to insure their survival.  
Meanwhile in Texas
Some good news also touched down in the capitol of the lone star state as well as the WingMan arrived to join the Curbside wedding celebrations. He was tired after a long tour that took him literally coast to coast. He flew in from Chicago and if this picture is any indication I have a very happy daughter which is all a father can hope for.

One of the icons of my childhood departed the realm yesterday with the death of fellow Patriots fan Leonard Nimoy. I readily admit to being an unrepentant Trekkie and sci fi nerd. Nimoy with his incomparable Mr. Spock defined a science fiction renaissance that began with the iconic 1960’s Star Trek TV series. Nimoy was the connective tissue between all the innumerable progeny of that original series to include the recent two movies. He was a multi-faceted talent who certainly lived long and prospered. He’s now joined Bones and Scotty and all those red shirts and I will miss him.
How I'll Remember Him

No comments:

Post a Comment