Friday, October 17, 2014

Triumph

One of the things I like about this blog is that I can talk about how proud I am of my family.  Consistently when I was in the Army for the seemingly invariable award/promotion ceremonies I tried to do that in recognition of the sacrifices they (and any Army family) made while I served.  Every single time I tried I got too choked up to continue because of the depth of pride I’ve always felt for them. 
Today is a perfect example.  Last night our daughter called us with some fantastic news and I get to crow about that and her without turning into a cry baby.  She and Wing Man are moving to California in December and were a little nervous about doing this and leaving the comfort provided by the salary and benefits my daughter pulls down from her Madison Avenue job. 

She told her current boss yesterday that she was leaving and was rewarded for all of her intelligence and hard work over the past few years.  The boss told her that they couldn’t survive without her and would she be amenable to continue working for them from Los Angeles.  This was the very best news she could have hoped for and as noted above – more than deserved.
And She's Beautiful!
It's Almost Unfair
After graduating from college she and a friend worked for a summer to build up some savings and then moved to New York City without jobs and they made a go of it.  That took so much courage.  She started working as a temp and after a short period her current employer offered her a permanent position that she’s steadily advanced in since.  I am so proud of her, but I think you already figured that out. (I think something just flew into my eyes – just like those ceremonies)

My daughter’s triumphant news put us in a great frame of mind to watch the Patriots take on the hated Jets in Thursday night football.  It was an energetic night for the remote as we bounced between the Pats, the Bruins (in equally hated Montreal), and the last National League baseball game of the year.  The Pat’s defense, with the short prep week, obviously hadn’t had the time to make the adjustments required after losing a key player but luckily the Jets were the Jets and found a way to lose.  I had to admire the fight in the team – if nothing else they play hard (but fortunately not smart) for their blowhard coach.  Brady was even moving around to make throws, something he hasn’t done regularly for a couple years now.  Belichick now has ten free days to fix the defense which will be needed with some tough foes on the horizon.

The less said about the Bruins in Montreal the better.  I can’t wait for them to come into Boston without the padded days off they were given for their home opener.  The baseball game ended in dramatic fashion with two late home runs to thwart the Wing Man’s dream of another I-70 series.  A full night but I can’t stop smiling thinking about a certain young lady in the Big Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment