Friday, October 10, 2014

Explosive Lunch Gone

Back in the Saddle Again - Wife and I Yesterday
My wife recovered enough to attend my weekly luncheon with her son yesterday.  She felt that she owed this to her public due to the numerous phone calls she received from friends inquiring about her health.  Every time she had to field a call I would get one of the patented withering looks along with a demand that I stop writing about her in the blog.  Yeah, right, like that’s going to happen.  I gently remind her each time that for all intents and purposes she is the breakout star of the blog.  Well her, Buddy and the ABFA.
Lunch Selfie With Son
The ABFA’s less physically gifted spouse (talk bad about my fantasy football team will ya!) was a great lunch companion.  The addition of his mother to the mix geometrically increased the length of time spent at lunch though.  The term “laconic” will never be used in describing my wife, his mother.  She can cram one minute’s worth of information into a ten minute story with ease and do so charmingly every time.  My son and I are a little more terse in our communication so she was a welcome addition to the mix.

I am seriously considering giving up driving on the interstate highways.  A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to drive directly under a semi-trailer accident on an overpass (see September 13 post) that cost me a flat tire and additional gray hair (despite my abundant assemblage already).  We were driving back from lunch yesterday a couple lanes over from and behind a semi towing dual trailers when one of the tires on the trailer literally exploded.  The truck started weaving trying to maintain control while the rest of us were dodging the debris raining down as well as the semi; dammit – more gray hair.
We finally got to see Gone Girl last night and it did not disappoint.  Fincher can do so much with a crime story and he brings a character here that will enter the cinema hall of fame for villains.  The mystery is removed fairly early but that just permits the exploration of the depth of pure evil in this character.  I won’t ruin it for you by saying more other than you’ve got to see this movie.

It’s the best thing Affleck ever done acting wise and Pike certainly left her Bond girl status well behind.  The story revolves around Affleck’s missing wife (Pike) and whether he killed her or not.  Fincher offers a withering indictment of America’s penchant of rushing to judgment with empty headed, big mouthed “legal experts” assaulting the air waves with their theories.  Definitely one of the best movies of the year, there were several gasp out load moments as well as nearly continuous tension.  You’re almost out of breath by the end – don’t miss this one.  Neil Patrick Harris is definitely going to stick to dudes after this experience.

As my wife likes to describe it, we get to be parents again this weekend.  Both "kids" and their significant others - Wing Man and the ABFA - are coming in tonight.  Frivolity shall ensue.

No comments:

Post a Comment