Saturday, October 11, 2014

And It Feels So Good

Reunited with both “kids” last night as well as the ABFA and Wing Man; yesterday definitely goes down in the win column.  It was one of those days that seemed to crawl by at work because I knew what was waiting for me at the end of a long trip to Connecticut.  I made the obligatory First Friday stop at Brew City and stunned the wait staff when I limited myself to one beer.  I left them in a shocked state to make my way south through the apocalyptic holiday weekend traffic of the Nutmeg State.

The evil masterminds behind Connecticut traffic woes must have been a  little overwhelmed with the volume yesterday and didn’t notice us because we snuck down without a problem.  Both coming and going there was serious traffic jams but they were on the other side of the highway each time.  After my recent highway adventures I was a little nervous but I’m convinced Someone is looking out for me. 

My daughter and Wing Man missed an early train so we pulled into a rest area to wait for a half hour.  During that time a very bad accident took place behind us that we saw on our trip back.  Sometimes it just pays to be lucky.  Since we were now equipped with my daughter’s “spot a cop” app which pinpoints speed traps we made the trip home at a fairly legendary pace.

We were also speaking with my son and the ABFA who had arrived and they became the quartering party at Zorbas.  The pizzas were cooking when we arrived and the group was together for the first time in all too long (even though it had only been a month).  The table immediately descended into a maelstrom of conversation that only a family can produce as condensed catching up was required. 
Family Together at Zorba's Last Night
From Left, Wing Man, Daughter, ABFA, Son & Wife
The conversation and laughter continued at home where we gathered around the kitchen island.  A couple times I took a step back and just basked in the feeling of family that is all too fleeting considering the fast paced lives of the young‘uns.  At some point stupid cat videos were brought up on the omnipresent computers and the laughter went to another level.  People started drifting off to bed around midnight as we had all traveled a long way over the course of the day.


The Wing Man and I (because this is what wing men do) decided to check out the end of the baseball playoff game.  We saw the Royals go ahead in the tenth inning.  I woke up just as the last out of the game was made and looked over to find the Wing Man similarly consciousness challenged.  We declared victory and headed upstairs.  Yep, definitely a win on any scoreboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment