Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday, Need I Say More

Friday’s got a lot going for it.  Moving beyond this huge understatement let me build my case.  Friday is perfectly positioned to honor the weekend and all that entails.  For most people (except the Keene Friend of course), it heralds the end of the work week for which I can say without fear of contradiction, is where we find the most intrinsic value of the day.  It’s also the day that new movies premiere, do I have to tell you how important that is to certain movie fanatics (didn’t think so).  It is for these reasons and the myriad others that I failed to mention that Friday is a day that should be properly honored.  This has coalesced into the celebration each week to mark the First Friday of the week.  So this means there's also a cardiovascular benefit since these celebrations always involve a significant amount of twelve-house curls!  The only thing wrong with Friday is that there isn’t a second Friday each week to celebrate.
12 Ounce Curls
My namesake nephew messaged me that I had to see one of the new movies, Annabelle, which is a prequel to The Conjuring about a haunted doll.  When I mentioned this to my wife last night I was met with a howl of laughter.  I don’t think she’s ever seen a horror movie.  This leads to conundrum because my regular go to guys for horror movies, son and Keene Friend) are geographically unavailable.  I love horror movies but since I immerse myself in whatever movie I’m watching, this can lead to problems if I go see them alone.  No one wants to see a nearly sixty year old guy watching a movie through his fingers.  The old “it’s just a movie” mantra just doesn’t work as well anymore and The Conjuring scared the bejesus out of me.  I’ll have to discuss this with the nephew tomorrow at his graduation party and see if I can get a pass.
Annabelle Will Have to Wait for Companionship
I finished off the next Vince Flynn book, Pursuit of Honor, which is really the second half of the previous book and finishes off the story of Mitch Rapp hunting down the terrorists who attacked Washington.  There was significantly less action in this one but it still rocked right along as Mitch cleaned up a lot of the loose ends dangling around Washington in the wake of the attacks.  After a huge build up the ending confrontation was kind of strangely hurried through but just desserts were served in bloody fashion.

It’s kind of melancholy because this is the next to last Rapp book that Flynn published before his death at a young age.  I’ve already started the last one which I’m trying to savor but that’s always a problem with Mr. Rapp on the scene since he is the Typhoid Mary of speed reading.  At least I have the First Friday of the Week to fall back on to lift my spirits (and we’re back!).

No comments:

Post a Comment