Monday, October 6, 2014

Piper Due

Yesterday could not have been a more perfect example of a crisp, beautiful New England autumn day.  It’s the kind of day that should be spent completely outside savoring what has been wrought on our behalf.   There’s only one problem – yesterday was also Sunday which meant the NFL Red Zone and fantasy football.  So Couch Potato Position #1 it was.
Finished Off the Wall Project Yesterday with Second Coat
My wife was paying dearly yesterday for venturing out into the rain on Saturday and her exertions on the dance floor.  Her cold returned with a vengeance.  Any time this lady chooses to miss church on Sunday it’s a sit up and take notice event.  She was making noises about blaming me for “forcing” her to go out to dance on Saturday; like anything short of the bubonic plague would have kept her from dancing when an opportunity presents itself.  Anybody who knows her will know of what I speak.
Buddy Has His Own Preferences for Watching Football
Since she was under the weather I was charged with the grocery store run and I finally got around to the lawn which October was not being cooperative about.  The heavy rain over the past few days caused a growth spurt and that trapped all the leaves that were falling.  As I mentioned earlier although the yard is surrounded by trees the leaves usually end up somewhere else thanks to the steady winds that pick up around this time of year.  That is except when the grass is long enough to trap the leaves and then they’re weighed down by rain.
Front Yard Yesterday
I had a very narrow time period between chores and the kickoff of the Red Zone to get the lawn done.  Problem number 1 is the sheer size of the lawn which does not lend itself for timely maintenance; even with a motivated lawn tractor.  Problem 2 were the leaves which had to be picked up but have a tendency to clog the mower quickly.  It’s funny how creative I can get when I try to avoid doing extra work (like picking up the leaves before mowing).  I pulled out the weekly garbage bin and emptied the mower bags every second time I passed by.  In semi-short order the front yard was pristine again and the leaves consigned to their fate in the backyard wood line.  That left the massive back yard and a rapidly approaching kickoff time.  Is it wrong to leave skid marks by going too fast on a lawn tractor?  This question and a couple others were answered as I finished the lawn in record time and was safely ensconced in proper couch potato position two minutes before kickoff.  The day was spectacular enough to actually regret having to go inside.
The "Hasty" Backyard
In earlier years I scoffed at my son and daughter’s fascination with fantasy football but I have to admit they’ve converted me; if for no other reason than I now have a companion to watch football with.  My wife (fairly competitive person that she is) now sets up next to me each Sunday to monitor how “our” team is doing and to bemoan “my” personnel decisions.  I found her set up in Couch Potato position #2 with her I-pad loged into our fanasty football league scoreboard so she could monitor our progress.  We were coming off our stunning defeat of the previously undefeated Keene Friend and facing off against the winless ABFA.  So of course we spent the day getting hammered as her team finally lived up to its potential.  I helped out by benching what would have been my best player (it’s how I roll).  We each have one player left tonight and as long as Alfred Morris can score a half dozen touchdowns against the league’s best defense I should be all set.  Somehow losing to the ABFA is a little easier.

My Wife Set Up Yesterday Monitoring The League
We ended the night by watching the Patriots storm back to life as a week of questioning their virility had the predicted effect.  They came out and stomped on a previously undefeated Cincinnati team that showed a serious lack of character.  Brady was back being decisive and they committed to the run.  Dare I say they looked like a vintage Patriots team.  The proof will be next week in Buffalo as to whether they truly turned a corner or this was an aberration; promising though.
Welcome back Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment