Thursday, October 16, 2014

Reacquainted

Temperature soared in the 80s yesterday which made me feel a little bit foolish for turning the heat on this past weekend.  I do get a pass for that act though since I was surrounded by thin blooded tropical ladies who thought it was exceedingly cold.  The day was furthered brightened by lunch with my favorite son.  He reported he was under serious verbal assault by the smack talking ABFA following her win over him this past weekend in fantasy football.  This after he’d given her a serious assist in setting her lineup.  I’m guessing that well has dried up for future contests.
Son and I Yesterday
I reacquainted myself with an old dear friend over the past two days.  I re-read the first of the Travis McGee novels by John D. Macdonald, The Deep Blue Goodbye.  I’ve often written about my pantheon of literary heroes.  They can all trace their lineage back to Mr. McGee, MacDonald’s beach bum, knight errant and rescuer.  My mother recommended I start reading MacDonald way back in my youth and he became something of an obsession.  When I went to Fort Lauderdale for spring break in the late 1970s, I took time from the frivolity and scantily clad ladies to walk several miles to see Bahia Mar Marina, where the fictional McGee lived on his venerable house boat – the Busted Flush.  I even named that son I lunched with after McGee; so yeah, more than a little obsessed.
All the McGee novels had a color in the title and usually featured the non-conformist hero recovering something of value for a client for a fee of 50% of what was recovered.  This allowed him to enjoy his retirement on the installment plan and only take on clients when his money supply ran low. 

Since my current stable of heroes was empty I decided to wander back and read MacDonald for the first time in thirty years.  I was totally unprepared for how much fun it was.  It was truly like meeting up with a long lost friend and falling immediately into the rhythm of a long neglected relationship that can only happen with a true friend.  I know this sounds trite but we’re talking serious nostalgia here.
I'm Not the Only One Obsessed
I expected the stories to be quaint and dated but they survive remarkably well.  I was also surprised to find the foreword for the kindle version of the book was penned by none other than Lee Child, author of my current obsession and descendent of McGee – Jack Reacher.  The stories survive more so for the quality of the writing.  Reading MacDonald again was a reminder of what a true artist the man was with words.  An example from The Deep Blue Goodbye:

“I am wary of the whole dreary deadening structured mess we have built into such a glittering top-heavy structure that there is nothing left to see but the glitter, and the brute routines of maintaining it.  Reality is in the enduring eyes, the unspoken dreadful accusation in the enduring eyes of a young woman who looks at you, and hopes for nothing.”

This first story in the McGee saga has him taking on the friend of a friend as a client to recover an unknown treasure stolen by a vicious ex-con.  McGee travels to New York City and then Texas before the final, brutal confrontation.  There isn’t the neat “Hollywood like” ending that is pro forma is so many of today’s thrillers.  McGee is left to pick up the pieces in the aftermath of the climatic confrontation that caused serious collateral damage. 

If you enjoy a good read I recommend you check out MacDonald's knight errant and spend some time on the Busted Flush.  For me it was a glancing glimpse of that elusive home I’m seeking; thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment