Monday, October 27, 2014

Tater Spot Relationships

The Last of a Truly Epic Autumn as Seen from Font Porch
I was on double secret probation yesterday for a fashion faux pas (something of a signature move for me).  My wife was too busy with some early morning yoga to properly inspect my chosen attire for church.  I wore the same pants I had on Saturday which she proclaimed was totally inappropriate. I was a little surly until I noticed a large smudge on one of the pant legs (it’s always worse when she’s absolutely right).  I spent the entire church service trying to surreptitiously cover the offending stain with my left hand.
View out the Window From Couch Potato Position #1
Safely attired in my clean lounge pants I settled in for an afternoon posting at Couch Potato Position #1 for the Patriots’ game and then the mesmerizing Red Zone.  I had ill-advisedly taunted our opponent in this week’s fantasy football game, our daughter, after some Thursday night success.  Her team came out roaring and quickly erased what had been a substantial lead, most of it courtesy of Sir Thomas Brady. I even sat my best tight end because I didn’t want to root for someone playing against the Patriots. 
Gronk Is Back!!
That’s kind of the cool thing about fantasy football – I was getting creamed but I could not have been happier as Brady led the Patriots to a convincing win over a dysfunctional Chicago Bears team.  The best thing about the game was the stout defense that Swami Belichick has obviously convinced to drink his Kool Aid. Buddy spent the entire game dive bombing our position from behind the couch.  He couldn't get at the snacks from the front so we had to contend with a continuous flank attack. When food is involved he loses his tenuous grip on reality.  His head would appear between my wife and I from behind the couch without warning whenever food made it's way towards our mouths.
Kind of Sums up the Day For Chicago
The epic battle with my daughter continued in the late games as I was forced to endure one of her players wearing probably the single ugliest uniform in sports history rack up touchdown after touchdown.  
C'Mon - Seriously!
By the end of the night my daughter and we are in a virtual tie with one player each left in tonight’s game.  I just have to hope Demarco Murray outplays Pierre Garcon tonight.  I like our chances.
The best thing about fantasy football, without doubt, is that I finally have someone to spend the afternoon watching the games with – my favorite Panamanian.  Granted she doesn’t truly understand the game (whatsoever) but she’s taken up a loyal spot next to me for the entire season while she monitors how our fantasy team is doing.  It’s funny that all these years and a substantial amount of scorn hurled at my Sunday afternoon sabbaticals from life that she finds herself seated next to me now.  As I write this I find myself waxing philosophic about the nature of relationships. 
Relationships are tough as there has to be a mutual sense of worth.  The difficult part is that some of that worth has to come from the other person or the relationship will fail.  There have been times when I think I’m doing my wife a favor and end up getting in trouble because I’ve intruded into something she considers her responsibility.  Obviously this goes both ways and I’ve found myself irrationally brusque when she’s done the same thing to me.  So finding a fellow football fan in my wife after thirty years speaks to me.  It eloquently demonstrates why life is so interesting; because, with the right person, it’s all about the search – learning about each other.  Her anger at me before church is more understandable in this light.  I had wandered into her area of responsibility – making sure I wear presentable clothes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment