Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wednesday – Need I Say More?

I’m not a huge fan of Wednesdays, especially yesterday where I was denied the only thing that made hump day worthwhile.  My son wasn’t available for our weekly lunch together so I was forced to amuse myself – an extremely tall task.  To complicate the overall worthlessness of the past day my excellent boss took off for the three days so I was doing his job as well as mine.  This seriously cut into my self-reflection time.
It didn’t cut into my reading time as I am entering a new “zone” when it comes to speed reading as I am deeply immersed reading sequentially Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series.  Yesterday I finished off Protect and Defend.  To describe this book as a page turner would be a grotesque understatement.  I was sneaking in a few minutes throughout the day to find out what Mitch was up to in his latest adventure.

His boss, the head of the CIA, is kidnapped in northern Iraq by Iranians who make the tactical mistake of doing this while Mr. Rapp was in town.  In short order the Iranians who are trying to foment a war with the US are thrown completely on the defensive where Mitch for the first time demonstrates some real strategic acumen.  I’ve already started the next book in the series but face the dreaded end of the run since there are only three books remaining after that.  I will put a net call out at that point for suggestions on successor books otherwise depression will set in. Mitch Rapp provides an almost tangible high.

Third movie of the week last night where the wife and I moved away from action and adventure to see This is Where I Leave You.  I didn’t realize ahead of time that she-bitch, ultra-traitor Jane Fonda was in it or I would have made other plans.  Luckily that waste of oxygen wasn’t that big a part of the movie (or I may have been shutting my eyes when she was on camera) and only as a caricature.  This movie belongs to Jason Bateman who’s evolved into a very good actor.
He plays a guy who finds his wife in bed with his boss and then has to return home to stay with his family when his father dies.  There are some real heartfelt laughs as he navigates the week with his totally dysfunctional brothers and sister and may even discover a new love.  The interactions between brothers and sister felt very real even if some of the characters weren’t that likable.  A very strong cast made this truly enjoyable.  You almost have to be middle-aged to understand some of the rhythms and themes that underlay the plot which made it fairly unique in today’s cinema market.  I just wish they could have inserted some sort of painful death scene for the she-bitch.


We received some interesting news from the realtor yesterday that might scare the ABFA a bit.  The people with the sick kids who got me into so much trouble with my wife on Tuesday were actually making their second visit to the house.  Apparently they loved the house wanted to second visit so they can make an offer!  They will visit this weekend and will, I’m sure, try to low ball.  Thanks to my wife’s predilection for watching House Hunters late at night before going to sleep I know exactly how to treat such offers.  Have no fear ABFA, it still doesn’t look promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment