Friday, September 5, 2014

Fantasized Nightmare

So last night was my first NFL football game while involved with a fantasy football league.  Predictably I got my ass handed to me by that bottomless well of football knowledge – my daughter.  She’s been doing this for a few years now and it certainly showed last night when her players kicked the tar out of mine.  She even sent a taunting text to my wife and I before the game.  I now understand the reason for her confidence as she thoroughly schooled this rookie.
My Tormentor Plotting Her Next Move
I also understand now why the NFL absolutely loves fantasy football.  I watched and was actually concerned about what was happening in a game I could not have cared less about.  That my daughter is an actual football fan now is prime evidence to understand what a sea change and boon for the league this is.  It’s also kind of fun.  Probably even more so if I wasn’t getting my butt kicked by someone I changed diapers on.  She’s been mysteriously benevolent since my thrashing but I’m sure there are several pointed remarks percolating in Brooklyn as I write this.

The biggest challenge of the night was trying to explain fantasy football to my teammate – the wife.  She couldn’t grasp the concept of why we were rooting for only one player on one team and against another.  Of course it’s hard to comprehend new facts when you’re texting, carrying on two simultaneous phone conversations, and supervising a recalcitrant husband.  She’s usually very adept at multi-tasking but she gave up on the game (but not the other activities) at half time. 


I guess my only hope is the remaining players on our team stage some sort of miraculous comeback on Sunday.  At least I have the First Friday of the Week celebrations to assuage the pain of last night.  Oh, and to make the night complete the Yankees hit two home runs in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Sox (but I’m not complaining!).  Bartender, one Coors light draft please and keep ‘em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment