Monday, September 29, 2014

Fortunate Fantasy

Any day after the type of Saturday I enjoyed was bound to be disappointing however my familial resources banded together to make sure that did not occur.  My elder (but certainly not elderly) sister and brother in law journeyed up to our place from Rhode Island.  For those of you unacquainted with Rhode Islanders that is a huge trip usually undertaken only for dire emergencies.  Luckily these two remarkable people do not share that affliction.
For the Drive Home Yesterday The Big Guy Certainly Had his Paintbrush Out
They were coming up to share in that Sunday ritual that is fast becoming a religious like experience – the NFL Red Zone!!  My brother in law works in the sports media business and is usually tied up with work on NFL Sundays covering the Patriots.  Since the Pats were off until tonight this was a rare opportunity to get together and they were the prefect medicine to keep me from wistfully pining for Saturday.  My energy level wasn’t topping any charts yesterday.  Something my wife attributes to Saturday’s sampling of liquid refreshment.  Couch Potato Position #1 was just what the doctor ordered. 
We’re all in the family fantasy football league together so we spent the day bemoaning our fates.  My sister did more than bemoan as she seriously questioned her husband’s sports acumen as their team was being pummeled by my son’s.  My brother in law stated that my sister has taken the George Steinbrenner approach to joint ownership of their fantasy football team by basking in accolades when they thrive but scapegoating her co-owner when they do not.  I guess yesterday was a microcosm of the season as they fell behind early and my brother in law’s sanity and manhood were questioned severely.  Their team rallied late and my sister shifted gears to acknowledge the important role she played in deploying the selected players.  By the end of the night they were neck and neck with my (I’m sure nervous) son.

Brother in Law and Sister Behind the Ottoman Security Zone
My wife and I were up against the juggernaut of our league this week – the undefeated Keene Friend.  He pummeled us mercilessly through the early games.  The Red Zone lists the “perfect” fantasy players by position each Sunday based on performance.  Every single one of these dudes played for the Keene Friend!  Going in to the last night’s game we were behind by a dozen points.  We would have been soundly beating any other team in the league except for the colossus we were up against.  A minor miracle occurred when my last player had a career game while my opponent’s was only passable.  We ended up winning by less than a full point; the second week in a row my fantasy football match was decided by percentage points.  Since I’m not up against the league commissioner this week I think this result will stand.
Birthday Girl in NYC Yesterday Surrounded by her Excellent Friends
There were also a couple calls to the birthday girl yesterday as she flitted around New York City with friends and the Wing Man.  Buddy was in second heaven since he had the easiest mark in the Western World for scoring illicit food donations – my sister.  We finally had to protect her from his predations by positioning an ottoman in front of her so she could eat some of her own food and not have it begged away into a canine mouth.  She cannot resist him or any other animal for that matter (well maybe lizards).  Buddy was soon climbing the back of the couch to get at his mark.
Buddy Attempting to Breach Containment
Yesterday was fun because it was like slipping on that comfortable old t-shirt, surrounded by people I love and the attendant verbal jousting.  I don’t think it’s possible to underestimate the power of spending time with family.  Of course I’m singularly blessed in that department, even if my sister is a tyrant in her team ownership responsibilities.  I could care less about actually winning a fantasy football game but it’s already given us a couple of opportunities to hang out that probably wouldn’t have taken place without the league.  Viva Fantasy Football!!

No comments:

Post a Comment