Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tinseltown Invasion

The Fence I Have to keep Clear
Chaos reigns at work today.  Our facility is bordered by two major thoroughfares which is very handy for a transit company.  That is until they decide to shut down one of these main thoroughfares so Hollywood can film all day.  The movie Sea of Trees has been filming is Worcester for the past few weeks and today they descended on our neighborhood. 
We could work around this with some assistance from Worcester’s finest except for one thing – Mathew McConaughey.  This means every single woman who works here has been trying to sneak out to see their favorite heartthrob.  I was just talking with one of the cops charged with keeping the site pristine.  He asked if I could assist with moving the crowd of “gawking females” lining our fence line away from the camera shot.  So I get to earn a lot of cool points by directing these ladies back to their desks.  This may be something I never recover from.
Hollywood in Worcester
Date night yesterday and the wife and I journeyed to Worcester since the local theater is pandering to adolescents this week.  It was a little nostalgic to return to what used to be our normal haunt.  We went to see the Hundred Foot Journey because I couldn’t think fast enough to avoid this obvious chick flick about the French and cooking.  Sometimes you have to take one for the team and this turned out to be a good thing because this was a truly charming movie.
A family of Indian restaurateurs is displaced from India and end up in the French hinterlands where they try to open an Indian restaurant across the road from a very prestigious French restaurant.  The movie is technically about the young Indian chef’s rise to fame but the absolute best parts are the evolving relationship between the two heads of the establishments- Helen Mirren and Om Puri; two actors at the peak of their craft.  They have so much chemistry that the youngsters are kind of left in the dust.  There’s the usual culture clash but this movie gets it right by focusing on the people involved.  My wife was gushing about the French cuisine which is almost a supporting actor in the plot, I just thought it was funny as hell; very entertaining.


I just realized I am embarking on my fourth year of writing this blog since I started in September 2011.  I glanced back at those first posts and was a little amazed how much it’s grown and how important it’s become to me.  I actually look forward to the writing each day which is kind of weird.  Thanks for putting up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment