Thursday, September 18, 2014

Drop In

A welcome addition to the week’s routine was my son’s availability to reassume our weekly hump day lunch yesterday.  He was full of piss and vinegar about our impending weekend fantasy football match.  He seems to think he’ll be able to win over my resurgent bunch; I’ll have to keep a close eye on him since he’s also the league commissioner.  He would count the season a success if this was the only game he wins. 
Son and I Yesterday
He’s also learning about marital responsibilities in providing a shoulder for the ABFA to cry on as her fantasy football team implodes.  She had four of her front line starters go down with game ending injuries in the first quarter last week. At least she’s lucky in love.  They’re both going through the machinations of house hunting which was ample fodder for lunch time dissection.

My winning streak continued at home where my wife and I executed a day late date night.  We journeyed into Worcester again to see The Drop which is billed as James Gandolfini’s last movie.  In reality this is Tom Hardy’s movie and it is powerful.  It’s not an action packed thriller but a look at the gritty underside of organized crime in Brooklyn.  The plot jumps around a lot but in doing so provides the necessary clues for a fantastic climatic confrontation. 

Hardy is completely believable as a seemingly inept, but sweet hearted bar tender for the devious Gandolfini.  They’re under pressure from Chechen mobsters to recover money stolen in a late night stick up while Hardy adopts a pit bull puppy and Noomi Rapace.  I can’t say too much because it would ruin the fantastic scene between Hardy and Rapace following the super bowl.  The movie ends with maybe the best line in cinema this year, “No one ever sees you coming, do they?”.  If you love character driven drama and great acting –go see The Drop.  I can’t wait to talk about this with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment