Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Chapter Turns

It is barely conceivable that we’re already a couple days into September.  Mother Nature is also confused as she’s still (or finally) pumping in some hot summer weather.  When I should be turning the AC off, I’m now happy it’s still on.
My Wife Giving Hojaldra Lessons to the ABFA
You all know what I’m going to say today about yesterday; one of those valley days after prancing about the peaks all weekend.  The Keene Friend deserted us in the very early morning as has become his wont.  The rest of the crew stumbled downstairs throughout the morning knowing this was the last day we’d all be together.  I think the term is “bittersweet”.
The ABFA signed up for lessons on the making of hojaldras from her mother in law.  Her husband, our son, a well-known connoisseur of that breakfast food beamed with anticipation.  Buddy finally itched a little too strenuously one last time and I was directed to the back deck to administer a bath (him not me, although the wife was giving the hose a considering look when I finished with thte dog).  Buddy was less than pleased to be exiled from the magic room (kitchen) when food was in play.
Moist Buddy Begging for Re-Entry
The ladies came out onto the deck to admire his courage and enjoy the brilliant morning descending upon us.  It was a day of looking to the future as my son and the ABFA sat in the family room perusing potential homes their real estate agent sent to them.  They planned on checking several out as they made their way home to Portsmouth.  As we walked them out to their car I wished them luck in their search and the ABFA directed me to not allow anyone to see our house.  She loves our house and is not a huge fan of our decision to sell.
Daughter, Wife and ABFA Enjoying the Morning on the Deck
As we made our way back up the hill we sat down on the front porch with our daughter and eventually the Wing Man.  They revealed that with our son’s wedding safely downrange they were now planning on following through with their planned move to the west coast.  At the same time I want to wrap them both up and keep them close I know this is where their future lies.  They want to start a family and will not do that in New York City.  We’re looking into frequent flyer plans for flights to L.A.  I did say bittersweet, didn’t I?
The ABFA and Son Search
The remainder of the day had the “kids” playing board games while Buddy tried to dry off.  Once again, that constant thrum of activity and laughter was so welcome in our usually quiet home.  The last piece of the day was spent subjecting ourselves to Labor Day traffic in Connecticut. 

I honestly believe that traffic hell hole was reacting to our recent spate of success moving through the length of the state.  There was literally a platoon of state police deployed along our path as well as the usual phalanx of slow New Jersey drivers in the left lane.  I was more than willing to take my time since I knew I had to leave my precious cargo.  My daughter made excellent use of her new app which pinpointed police locations and we safely and semi-legally arrived in New Haven with time to spare. 


I didn’t want to even look back when my daughter, Wing Man, and their friend hurriedly grabbed their bags while I double-parked in front of the train station. While I do this all the time it still hasn’t gotten any easier and I realized that this was an endangered act based on their left coast plans; yep, deep in the valley at that point.  Forewarned about the police presence the trip back was quiet except for the times my wife and I reflected back on a weekend exceedingly well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment