Friday, September 12, 2014

Autumnal Randominity

(I know it’s not a real world – get over yourself) 
Bit of a catch up day here as I paused to remember 9-11 yesterday.  The weather has definitely turned towards autumn which is a Godsend.  I think the word I’m looking for is “crisp”.  I don’t think there’s a better place in the world to be than New England in the fall.  My wife and I have agreed to disagree about this sicne she considers temperatures below 70 as hardship living.  I love having the windows open and having to burrow deeper under the quilt as the nighttime temps head south.  I don’t think I’ve slept sounder in my life than in the past week, semi-intoxicating (and the leaves haven’t even turned yet!).
Birthday Boy at One of His recent Public Speaking Appearances
Today is also the Keene Friend’s birthday.  I don’t think I’ve ever met a better or more genuine person.  His first thought is always on what he can do to help those close to him.  I consider myself blessed to call him friend and knowing he’s had my back since the 7th grade.  My wife and I are heading up to Keene tomorrow to hang out and celebrate his day with him.
Mother In Law's Birthday
It’s kind of a birthday laden week around here as a number of other people at work are also marking their day (January is very cold).  No such excuse down in tropical Panama but one of my favorite people in the world celebrated her 82d birthday on Wednesday.  My mother in law was subjected to a joint chorus of Happy Birthday with me singing.  I’m glad she withstood that auditory horror enough to allow her “kids” to take her out to dinner along with my father in law.  One of the PanaGals sent some pictures and both my wife and I wished we could have been part of what looked like a fun night.
Hump Day Luncheon Partners
On that same day I had one of my hump day lunches with my favorite son where we commiserated about our fantasy football fortunes.  Since he’s the league commissioner he had to take a higher road than I did as I wallowed in recrimination at my ineptitude.  I’m facing the Wing Man and certain defeat this weekend.  My son is continuing his house hunting with the ABFA now that the wedding hullabaloo has subsided.
My Wife Poring Last Night
My wife spent the better part of two hours poring over 900 official wedding photos which she accessed electronically last night.  The photographer did a great job capturing the emotion, excitement, fun, and love that permeated the day.  My wife selected nearly 200 that she wanted to get printed and thought she saved the selection in the web site’s “my favorites” section.  When she summoned me to review there were only two photos there so something wasn’t done right.  I was immediately assessed as the culprit.
Sample of the Artist's Work
Culprits were the name of the game in finishing my latest foray into the world of Vince Flynn and his uber-hero Mitch Rapp, Memorial Day.  Mitch is back to doing what he does best which is thwarting terrorist attacks which brings the attendant body count.  As with all of Flynn’s books the pace was relentless and the tension peaks in the second half to the point I literally could not put the book down.  The last quarter of the book was the best action I’ve read in this series of books which is saying a whole hell of a lot. 

Mitch deflects one nuclear bomb attack only to learn his work is not done.  He has to battle terrorists as well as holier than thou progressive Washington politicians.  One aspect of Flynn’s books than I enjoy is the set up for the next one.  He always introduces some secondary characters, usually villains, who aren’t definitively dealt with in the current book.  In other words they survive, but have exposed themselves to Rapp’s radar, never a healthy course of action.  This wets the appetite to continue to the next book expeditiously which I did five minutes after finishing Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment