Monday, September 22, 2014

Reflective Walks

Yesterday saw another house showing and the attendant frenetic cleaning period preceding it.  We faced the issue of vacating the house for the showing which was compounded by the timing right as the Patriots were kicking off.  Don’t these people watch football?!  I’m not sure I want to sell to them.  Since I wasn’t taking the chance of getting my wife anywhere near a shopping venue and risk losing the entire afternoon we opted for a walk on the country roads surrounding our house.
Buddy and I Wondering Why She's Walking So Slow
Buddy gave the plan an enthusiastic thumbs up but my wife was less than pleased with the non-mall aspects of the plan.  It was weirdly hot and humid yesterday but the foliage has taken up its autumnal color change with a vengeance.  The green tunnels were showing some real color.  My wife decided it was entirely too quiet and was soon blaring music from her I-phone and dancing.  Buddy and I took the business of walking a little more seriously (but I think she enjoyed it more).
It Was Because of the Dancing
We returned to the house where I immediately set about fast forwarding through the commercials to get to actual game action.  The Patriots once again played down to their competition and made a rookie quarterback look like one of the Manning brothers.  Luckily their defense was stout enough to weather the waiting period for the offense to figure things out. 
A Win is a Win
My wife is seriously into fantasy football now as she spent the entire afternoon on the couch monitoring our team.  Granted she was asleep for portions of that (probably due to the walk/dancing) but she hung in the entire day which was impressive.  She was frustrated that she couldn’t keep track of who belonged to whom so she availed herself of the draft board which was still hanging around.  She thought this was more personal than the computer I set up.
My Wife Consulting the Draft Board
We were up against our son, the commissioner, and we lost by less than a point.  I’m thinking of lodging some sort of protest because I’m sure he must have manipulated the scoring to eke out a win by .4 points against his biggest rival.  That would be pointless though as all appeals would be decided by, you guessed it, the commissioner.  Maybe I should appeal to the ABFA, she has some real influence in the commissioner’s office from what I’ve been told; but she would probably make to promise not to sell the house.  Oh well.

Since there were three movies out this week that will require our viewing we availed ourselves of the opportunity to salve our battered psyches after the close loss.  We went to see Walk Amongst the Tombstones which is the next in Liam Neeson’s middle aged renaissance of action parts.  He plays an alcoholic ex-NYC cop who is drawn into the search for a pair of serial killers stalking the high end of the city’s drug traffickers.

This is an interesting movie that doesn’t fall into the usual Hollywood trap of making everything about the action.  It takes a withering look at the lives of the people involved and Neeson’s search for his own humanity.  He takes a young homeless African-American boy under his wing while trying to solve the ongoing series of murders.  The movie takes place in 1999 which is kind of scary because I get the impression the movie makers consider that a long time ago.  I truly enjoyed this movie on all levels as all the flawed characters and two really spooky villains  hurtle towards the inevitable confrontation.  I love reading detective novels set in New York City and watching this was like reading one – really fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment