Friday, September 26, 2014

Looking for a Hero

As a dedicated Red Sox fan I harbor no good will towards the icon of the moment – Derek Jeter.  I think he’s been a very serviceable player, always conducted himself professionally, and was absolutely clutch most of the time when needed.  He is, however, not a god although that would be hard to imagine if you’d turned on a sports program in the last two weeks.  Somehow his retirement is the start of a cataclysm of mythic proportions if the media is to be believed. 
My brother in law (one of my favorite writers) commented on this earlier in the week and he was spot on.  Jeter is a pro and played the game the way it is supposed to be played but c’mon he pales in comparison with the true legends of the game.  My brother in law made the point that this overwrought adulation was a reflection of today’s society.

I think that’s absolutely true but is also a stark reminder of how much manufactured emotion we’re exposed to by today’s media – especially sports media.  The media thinks we are in desperate need for a hero worth admiring that they manufacture one and then lionize him to the point of ridiculousness.  True emotion cannot be manufactured and in my mind this does nothing more than rob Jeter of some of the respect he has in fact earned.

When most of the manufactured heroes inevitably fail or are exposed as less than divine – the disappointment just adds to our collective angst.  The next time you’re watching a sports “news” segment and the background music wells up – you’ll know what I’m talking about.  I’ve seen enough movies to recognize poorly constructed drama.  This is sad because we have heroes galore in police, fire, and military uniforms keeping the wolves at bay which are the real timber this country is constructed of – not pampered celebrities who haven’t had to demonstrate real courage.  

Jeter to his immense credit always stood above the fray.  In his prime he was the very last batter I wanted at the plate against the Sox in a decisive situation.  He earned my respect over the years but I refuse to genuflect in his general direction.
The Weekly Selfie - sans Son
We were Supposed to Look Sad Because he Couldn't Attend
My Wife Just Looks Kind of Menacing
One person I would genuflect for is my son who was supposed to remedy his lack of availability for the hump day luncheon with a lunch date yesterday.  He was unfortunately under the weather and the ABFA was called upon to wifely minster to the sick.  This brought his mother up a little short as this was always her bailiwick.  She decided to fill in for her son and at least rescue me because let’s face it – I could use it.  We went out to lunch together and planned our weekend.  We’re going up to Keene tomorrow to look at several houses as potential homes if the sale of our house picks up steam.  I was given strict orders on the type of house she wanted see.    
That's Better
I then spent the afternoon contacting seven different agents for seven houses, figuring I wouldn’t be 100% successful.  This could also serve as an audition for a local agent if we found one that we liked.  I learned that real estate agents rarely answer their phones and rely on messages.  Only one did answer and she immediately moved to the head of the pack.  By the end of the day I had appointments set up for five of the houses.  The two I didn’t hear back from are definitely out of the running.

I don’t have my normal crew today for First Friday as two of the starting players (excellent boss and operations manager) are out of the lineup.  I do not intend to let that dissuade me from marking the first Friday of the week with appropriate liquid refreshment.

No comments:

Post a Comment