Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Nadir

na·dir/ˈnādər,ˈnādi(ə)r/noun defined as the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization. "they had reached the nadir of their sufferings" synonyms: lowest point, lowest level, all-time low, bottom, rock-bottom.  I think that perfectly sums up how I feel about the Boston sports scene this morning after the end of the Red Sox season on Sunday and the shellacking of the Patriots last night in Kansas City.
Where Have You Gone?
My Wife Thanks You for the Beardless October
It was only a year ago that I was busily growing a playoff beard for a very likable, over achieving Red Sox team that went on to win the World Series.  A lot can happen in a year and I swore I would not criticize them because they won the championship last year.  Well the season’s over, so let the carnage begin.  The Sox tried to repeat their free agent luck of the 2013 but failed with Grady Sizemore, A.J. Pierzynski and Stephen (Nancy) Drew.  The young guys they counted on emerging this year Will Middlebrooks, Jackie Bradley Junior, and Xander Bogearts did not emerge with Bradley and Middlebrooks approaching complete catastrophes. Three of their established stars, Pedroia, Victorino, and Napoli were injured for the entire year.  With all of this, the team imploded in spectacular fashion because of their complete inability to hit, especially when someone was in scoring position.
All this being said I kind of like the way they’ve positioned themselves for the off season.  They don’t need a whole lot outside of a stud starting pitcher – John Lester, anyone?   While some of their young pitchers took their lumps this year that seems to be the natural progression and they’ll only be better next year.  This debacle of a season allowed them to test some of the young players and find out who has it and who definitely doesn’t.  Color me optimistic for 2015, hell I’m a Red Sox fan – it comes with the territory.
In Bill We Trust?
I wish I could feel that way about the 2014 Patriots.  All of a sudden (well maybe not so suddenly) the Patriots look old and overmatched, even though they’re a young team.  I think we all have to face the unfortunate truth that time has sapped some of the pixie dust out of Tom Brady’s right arm.  He looks overmatched at times which I never thought I say.  He always overcome poor protection with decisive quick releases but that skill seems to have seriously eroded.

Time to Be a Leader Young Thomas
I’m going to blame the ABFA, at least partially, for last night’s debacle.  She had Kansas City’s star player on her fantasy football team and was praying all day that he would come up big.  This is the seamy underside of fantasy football where you end up rooting against your own team.  I may have to reduce her ice cream allotment on her next visit.  I’m sure she’s busy consoling her husband who lost to my sister and brother in law when Gronk scored a meaningless touchdown in the waning minutes of the game.  Karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment