Monday, September 8, 2014

Red Zone Interrupted

I’m not saying I’m having second thoughts about putting the house up for sale (because I am) but if I knew I would be wrenched away from the clutches of my favorite autumn obsession – the NFL Red Zone – well more thought would have gone into it.  The first showing of the house occurred yesterday at 4:30 which was thankfully in the arid atmosphere of the second half of the football day when the action isn’t as mesmerizing as the 1 to 4pm games.  I was still a bit petulant about having to abandon Couch Potato Position 1 just so some strangers could inspect our home.
After Saturday night’s epic exertions (see yesterday’s post) I wasn’t expecting to feel exceptionally spry.  The ibuprofen assisted in that arena as my wife flitted about the house isolating the odd molecule of disorder that had the temerity to intrude into her pristine house.  Buddy was amped up as he sensed something big was on tap and he kept getting glances from my wife as she located another dog hair on the floor (he really did not want to know what she was thinking at that point).

He was even more excited when I loaded his kennel into the car.  I’m sure he had visions of a long drive (which he loves – weird dog) to some distant location where he could amble around fresh scented environments.  We were taking him with us because the realtors said potential buyers don’t like to be startled by a seemingly bloodthirsty, insane dog trying to get at them from inside a cage (go figure). 

Alas Buddy was denied the long trip as we only went to a nearby restaurant to wait out the visit.  We backed into a shady spot we could see from the bar and opened the windows so he could nasally inspect this new location.  In what was truly a sign from heaven addressing my understandable separation anxiety the bar had the Red Zone going full throat when we entered.  My wife and I enjoyed a great meal together where we decided we weren’t ready to sell the house yet.  This will make handling any offer less than the asking price easy to respond to.  Somewhere the ABFA is smiling.
The Patriots played a typical half of football yesterday and were comfortably ahead at half time.  Unfortunately they play two halves in the NFL and the Patriots seemed to forget that.  They are usually the better team in the second half but they laid a real egg as they wilted in the Florida heat.  For the first time in a long time they looked completely unprepared from game action.  I’m convinced Belichek used this as a devious tool to convince his team they’re not as good as everyone was telling them they were.  He’s willing to sacrifice one game early to get his team a mental edge.  He’s playing chess while everybody else struggles with checkers (at least that’s what I’m trying to convince myself of today).

My first week of fantasy football continues its descent into absolute chaos.  There is just no way to sugar coat the size of the debacle.  My daughter and I each have one player remaining for tonight’s game.  If Victor Cruz can set a new NFL record for touchdowns and yardage I just might finish a less embarrassing second to her.  I officially suck at fantasy football.

No comments:

Post a Comment