Sunday, July 1, 2012

Saturday Consumed

The Senator Painting When We Should Have been at the Movies 
Well I started out yesterday with a plan that withered in the face of the competing plan held by my wife.  I wanted to see a movie at the newly opened theater while my wife wanted to paint the deck railings.  So after we finished painting the deck there wasn’t enough time to see a movie before leaving for my nephew’s graduation party.  I did have time to catch another episode of The Wire which had the best scene I have seen yet in the series.  Omar, the gay robber of drug dealers was testifying in court and being cross examined by the drug dealer’s organization lawyer, as slimy as you could imagine.  The lawyer said, “So you are a parasite on an organization that is a parasite on society as a whole” or words to that effect.  Omar, my favorite character so far, responds with, “Yeah, just like you.  I use a shotgun and you use a briefcase”.  Great scene.  We headed down to my sister’s place for a rollicking good time.  We shocked the assembled masses with photos of my son.  Apparently he let his hair grow long while in Kyrgyzstan at the request of his girlfriend.  He posted a picture on Facebook that I was showing the party goers and there were some real looks of shock.  The party was once again with that supremely awesome in laws of my sister.  They are so much fun to be around.  They’ve taken to calling my friend “The Senator” because he looks a lot like Sen Jack Reed, the US Senator from Rhode Island.  The younger generation demanded the deck with the pool right next to it so the older generation took up residence at the dining room table where I think we had the better time.  Another donut cake made an appearance although it was short-lived – those things are so delicious.   A lot of the younger cousins drifted back into our room to enjoy the banter.  I guess I must have been a little dehydrated from the painting because the beer was disappearing faster than I could take credit for.  The Senator, never to miss a trick, pushed his empties in front of me to create the illusion I was consuming more than I was.  My sister severely underestimated the amount of beer required which necessitated another beer run. My brother in law’s sister was already creating the groundwork for her failure to appear at our house for my son’s welcome home party.  It’s about 45 miles so, as a dyed in the wool Rhode Islander, she considers that a road trip of epic proportions.  Interestingly she is claiming that she’s going to be there so she successfully confused everybody who knows she will find a way to back out.  After solving all of the Red Sox’ problems at the dining room table we went outside and seized control of the deck for the rest of the evening.  We all had such a good time that I truly didn’t want it to end but since I wasn’t the one driving home I had 49% of the vote.  I woke up this morning and the Senator had disappeared into the morning mist and I learned that the union voted down the contract offer.  This means this was their plan all along – I knew they were being too cooperative to be real.  Today I WILL see a movie at the new theater. 
My Son's Shocking Hair
Framed with Beers

Protesting My Innocence
Donut Cake!!!!!!
My Wife Laughing as the Excuse Maker Conjures
The Graduate and I Out on the Deck

No comments:

Post a Comment