Monday, July 16, 2012

Decompression Separations

My Wife Reunited with Friend in Virginia
The problem with great weekends is that they inevitably come to an end.  After the immense time on Saturday I had to get up at 6am and drive my wife to the airport in Boston.  She was flying down to Washington, DC to spend some time with her close friend who has the week off from work.  She sent me a picture of herself swinging on a tire so I know she’s having fun with her “sister” in Virginia.  It gets tougher and tougher to be separated as we get older.  The separation was mitigated to a certain extent because I knew I was returning to a semi-full house of my daughter, three of her friends, my son, the most excellent girlfriend, and of course Buddy.  I anticipated finding them all still in bed and this would provide the opportunity for Buddy and I to start the clean up of debris from Saturday’s party.  I was shocked when I pulled into the driveway and Buddy came charging down to greet me followed closely by my son who tried to keep Buddy from being run over in his enthusiasm.  Everybody was up and had just about finished with the clean-up; just about the nicest present I could have received.  We had a really enjoyable breakfast together before my son and M.E.G. had to head back to their homes in New Hampshire.  I didn’t want to let them go but my feelings were magnified in Buddy who worships my son.  Buddy’s sadness was assuaged to a certain degree by the attention he received from my daughter’s three friends.  They were all extolling Buddy’s virtues (who knew?) and lavishing attention on him.  They’re either big dog lovers or they read my earlier blog.  Along with my daughter they spent the morning out on the deck.  I was going to snap a picture of them but felt that might seem a little creepy.  I have included photos I bogarted from my daughter’s facebook page.  I was impressed with all of them, beautiful, vibrant young women making a go of their careers in New York City.  I think they enjoyed escaping the scorching summer heat of New York for the weekend and they certainly brightened up Central Massachusetts while they were here.  It was nice having four daughters for a little while and I’m so pleased that my daughter has such quality people surrounding her; especially since her husband is away so often.  Sadly, in the afternoon my daughter had to drive them back to the train in Connecticut and Buddy and I took the opportunity to crash severely on the couch.  Buddy was apparently in as much need of rest as I was.  We woke up long enough to realize the Red Sox were actually winning a game.  My daughter returned from her sad mission and we went out to eat.  As we walked into the restaurant I saw one of my wife’s ex-co-workers across the way.  I hope she realized the beautiful young lady I was with was my daughter.  It will be fun to see if I get reported to my wife for dining with an exotic young woman, not my wife.  I enjoy these times alone with my daughter because we share similar passions of reading and movies that we cannot always explore fully with her mother in fears of excluding her from the conversation.  I so wanted to show my daughter the new movie theater that I went with her to see The Amazing Spiderman again – my earlier impression was confirmed – good flick.  We ended up back on the couch with the now comatose Buddy watching a new show she’s trying to get me interested in called The League – concerning some guys and their fantasy football league - very funny stuff.  I was so blessed to have my daughter around yesterday.  An empty house (even with Buddy) would have been tough to take after the absolute high of Saturday.  Now all I have to do is get through to Thursday when the wife returns.
Wife Obviously Not as Upset About Separation
Son and M.E.G.
Bogarted Photo 1 - Daughter and 2 Amigas
That Spent the Weekend Lighting Up Central Mass
Bogarted Photo 2 - Amiga #3 on Left

Son in Law (on right) At Work Saturday Night in Yokohama

No comments:

Post a Comment