Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fiery Friday Wakeup


Thursday Night in Charlton
All That Was Left Friday Morning
Yesterday morning I was taking the trash down to the curb in the early morning when I noticed a helicopter hovering about a mile away across a nearby lake. The town I live in is normally very quiet so this left me wondering what was going on.  I guessed it was some major accident on the Mass Turnpike which runs through the town at about the same location.  As I was eating breakfast the news came on the TV and the lead story was a huge mill fire in my home town.  Apparently this large old mill (New England has a million of them) that I drive by every day started burning the night before and was totally destroyed.  There was a series of loud explosions and the fire burned throughout the night.  Our town is very small so firefighters from over twenty other local towns were called in to help control the fire.  Five of the fire fighters were injured but thankfully they are reportedly all fine.  Kind of strange because I slept through the whole thing, even more strange, so did Buddy, I guess the wind was blowing in the other direction.  It was kind of jarring to drive by and see this pile of smoking debris where a large building stood the day before.  Yesterday was otherwise a very slow day for me, not so much for my wife.  She and her friend who have been visiting all week spent the day running around getting manicures, shopping, and calling me to report their progress.  We treated the friend to one of the mystical Zorbas Friday night pizzas.  I then had the onerous task of ferrying Buddy down to Rhode Island where he is spending the weekend while my wife and I attend a wedding up in New Hampshire.  My sister and brother in law were out on their date night so Buddy was greeted by my nephew who is very good with animals.  Buddy usually is on high alert when I drop him off and gets seventeen kinds of crazy when I leave.  He must be finally used to the process because he couldn’t even be bothered to say goodbye.  There must have been some interestingly exotic smells in the backyard because he didn’t even notice when I left.  I felt kind of disrespected.  As I journeyed back home I tuned in to listen to the Yankees dismantling the Red Sox.  All of the earlier optimism for my beloved Sox seems to have been misplaced, this team lacks character.  The biggest surprise was when I got home and the ladies were not watching the Olympics opening ceremonies.  In a truly puzzling move they wanted to watch both Hangover movies – counted this as a win.

Buddy and Nephew - You Haven't Left Yet Dad
Best Friends
Now They're Posing

No comments:

Post a Comment