Sunday, July 22, 2012

Street Very Fair

My Friend and Wife Joining in the Fun
Yesterday was one of those epic days of comradeship that I did not want to end.  My wife and I traveled up to Keene, NH, my hometown.  The town had reinstituted a tradition from my youth – the street faire.  The town used to shut down Main Street (the widest paved Main Street in the world) and allow Main Street merchants to have sales and display their wares outside.  This rejuvenation didn’t have Main Street closed and there wasn’t the same feel but I just appreciated another chance to spend the day in Keene – my favorite place in the world.  Buddy was his usual apoplectic self as he anticipated a ride to visit his friend – my best friend who still lives in Keene.  My friend lives close enough to downtown that we walked up to the street faire.  My wife was less than impressed with the offered sales and she really was looking for a way to escape and get a pedicure.  We walked the entire circuit and the only memorable event was my first taste of a Beefalo burger – not too impressed – way too healthy for me.  We ended up at an ice cream place where we stopped and sampled.  While sitting outside eating ice cream I noticed a nearby sports bar and my friend acknowledged that it looked in need of patronage.  My wife took off for her pedicure and associated shopping while my friend and I took up positions at a table right by the front door.  Thus started a five hour experience that could not have been more fun.  The beers were only $1.75 each and were sliding down with an ease I could vaguely remember from my college days.  We kept up a running commentary on the denizens of the street faire passing by and even had a friend from our high school class stop by and say hi.  It was just such a good time.  There were a large number of Keene State College students who were returning to school and they provided a target rich source for our running commentary.  There was one large group which we spent a long time figuring out which of the young men would successfully woo the girl we crowned as the most deserving of attention.  We felt we had the case solved when this girl’s girlfriend walked up and took over (no one won that bet) but it provided yet another source of conjecture.  We were later joined by another high school friend who joined in the comradeship.  It’s so good to have a group of friends that can just slide right into a conversation.  The star of the day was a very overdressed young lady who gave enthusiastic hugs to everybody she met.  She really should have used better judgment in issuing these hugs due to what she was wearing but the rest of the bar thoroughly enjoyed her efforts.  It was harmless fun and we completely behaved ourselves – the best part was reminiscing with my friend.  Apparently we also called and left a message on my son’s phone – absolutely no memory of that.  My wife eventually arrived and bemusedly ferried the group up the street for dinner at Margarita’s which where the fun continued.  Eventually we made our way back to my friend’s home to watch the Red Sox implode.   My cantankerous friend finally caught up with us but as soon as my butt hit the couch I was unable to keep my eyes open.  The combination of the sun, walking, driving and, to a certain extent, the $1.75 libations had rendered me hors de combat.   I felt really like I had come home and could not have had a better day.
My Wife Negotiating Through the Faire
Main Street Keene Yesterday
My Wife Doing her Best
The Ice Cream Break
My Friend in Our Overwatch Position
The Three Amigos
Dinner at Margarita's

No comments:

Post a Comment