Monday, July 9, 2012

Spidy Sunday


Beautiful New England summer day yesterday and a good day to decompress after the hectic events of Saturday.  My wife and I decided to take in a movie since it is now so easy with the nearby theater.  We went to see The Amazing Spiderman.  I wasn’t too sure about this movie and really questioned why a new series of Spiderman movies was needed after the fairly recent Tobey Maguire versions.  I liked the Maguire movies and really questioned the need.  I understood the need for a new Hulk movie after the disastrous initial one but the Spiderman series was solid.  I ended up really liking this new version, although the lead actor, Andrew Garfield, really needs to get his hair under control.  He was actually much better than Maguire and more likable.  I don’t think it’s a valid point because this is after all, over the top science fiction type fare, but this movie seemed much more believable.  The best aspect of this movie was the supporting cast, led by Emma Stone.  She is so good in everything she does and this plot gave some real meat to her role, she was certainly not just a pretty face.  There were some big names in very small cameos which always endears a movie to me.  This was a very good film which surprised me because I wasn’t expecting much.  I still wonder why it was made, though.  I guess because idiots like me are still paying to go see it.  Okay, now it makes sense.  My wife watched the evening news while I was trying to finish off season 2 of The Wire.  She heard the stories about the Russian virus that was going to shut down the internet on certain computers at midnight and she went into full blown panic.  I had to go to the website and confirm that our computer was not at risk.  She then decided she had to warn all of her extended family in Panama so I was translating instructions to various family members over the next couple of hours.  This led to a very funny video skype conversation with my wife’s younger sister who is a really funny person and her young son.  The son handled the computer stuff and then reluctantly agreed to let his mother get into the conversation with her sister, my wife.  He knows, as do I, that there is no such thing as a short conversation between these two and did not want to donate the computer time (there’s only one in the house).  The two sisters had a great time with each other while her young son hovered in the background.  He proudly displayed his new “cedula” which is his ID card that proves he’s 18 years old.  He bemoaned the fact that he went to buy alcohol and wasn’t carded.  I told him he was lucky because the photo made him look like a 1980’s rock star – very tall hair.  I also shared with him that I am rarely carded myself anymore.  He and I were able to slip in some very funny (to us) comments about life with these two sisters.  We’re both probably going to pay for these cogent observations.
My Wife in Mid-skype
The Beautiful and Contentious Sister
Her Son Trying to Speed up the Conversation
The Truly Unfortunate Hair Cut - Rick Springfield Lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment