Thursday, July 19, 2012

Canine Terror

Today my bride returns from her sojourn in Northern Virginia.  I spent yesterday after work spot cleaning the house where the most noticeable evidences of her absence were present.  Buddy was of no help whatsoever.  There was a series of strong thunderstorms (that rain I was hoping for) and he is absolutely terrified of those.  Maybe he’ll think the thunder came because he was sitting on the couch too much (nah – too much to hope for).  The first storm came through before I arrived home and he had actually moved his cage a couple of feet with his frantic reactions to the storms.  Once he was released he immediately sought out the darkest corners to hide in.  I eventually convinced him to go outside since he had been confined for eight hours.  He rushed out and then back inside.  About fifteen minutes later he was sufficiently calmed down to realize he really had to get outside for a “comfort break”.  It was fairly entertaining to see the obvious relief on his face when he finally “did his business”.  After that strange interlude he seemed fine if a little on the skittish side.  He refused to leave my side for the rest of the evening which I kind of enjoyed.  The Red Sox won again as they finally figured out how to get Youklis out or maybe Youk's rage against the Red Sox has subsided a little bit.  I have a friend who always says, “Why can’t we get players like that?!”  A very appropriate comment this week given Youk’s depredations in his return to Fenway.  I also finished the next and painfully last book in the Nathan McBride series by Andrew Peterson, Forced to Kill.  It was every bit as good as the first book as McBride took on one of his biggest demons by hunting the Nicaraguan who tortured him decades ago while on a CIA mission.  The book was relentless in pace and McBride almost achieves Reacher status with the climatic duel with his tormentor.  I really liked this series and look forward to more books from this newly discovered (for me) author.  Now I’m in the heavy prayer mode that the house passes inspection; luckily the great young people did yeoman’s work on Sunday to clean up the worst of the party aftermath.  My daughter even vacuumed - I hadn't realized until that point that she knew how to turn it on (kidding!:))  The key point for my wife to remember – all the plants have survived her absence and disregard the black lab sitting contently on the couch. 
Calm The F*** Down, Youk!
Take it Out on The Yankees Please
Great Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment