Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Table Topping

The Exercise I was In Yesterday - Good People
Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend the entire morning at a Table Top Exercise.  It was run by the city of Worcester to test the plan to evacuate a public housing facility in case of an emergency.  I was pleasantly surprised at how professionally run the exercise was and how dedicated the civil servants were that participated.  When I first became a civilian my boss sent me to some of the Emergency Preparedness Meetings and I was appalled by some of the attendees.  This was just a few years after 9-11 and the Federal government was cascading money down to local agencies.  The council comprised police and fire officials from a number of cities and towns and it was obvious they had not sent their best and brightest.  I had just left the Pentagon and was just flabbergasted that money was being given to these bozos for their totally inane projects.  They actually laughed at the ease with which they could get Federal dollars and the pet projects they dreamed up to get the money.  It was for this reason I was so pleasantly surprised that the exercise I took part in yesterday was so well done.  I was a little late in arriving due to some extensive plant watering responsibilities.  I knew my wife had a lot of garden space but I didn’t realize how long it takes to water them until she left town.  With the current heat wave all her plants would be dead if I don’t water them every day (not something I’m brave enough to chance0.  It’s weird – it’s the summer and I’m praying for rain.  As always I am amazed at just how much my wife does for me each day.  When she’s gone I find myself charging around trying to get places on time because I’ve had to do things that she usually does for me, usually without sufficient recognition.  The lost morning to the exercise severely damaged the routine for the rest of the day also as I had people lined up outside my office when I returned.  Tuesday is also DVD release day and I always sneak out to buy if there is a good one being released.  Yesterday was a real struggle to escape but I finally did get over to the Best Buy only to be thwarted by the totally incompetent staff there.  We have two Best Buys in Worcester and the one nearest my office is a disaster.  The people there seem put out when you ask a question and they are always days late stocking new items.  I had to show the guy they were supposed to have Lockout as a new release according to their own advertising circulation.  The guy made up a lame excuse and said there weren’t any in the Best Buy system for at least a couple days.  On my way home I stopped by the other Best Buy at the Blackstone Valley Shoppes and found the movie right away and was treated extremely well by the staff.  I’m sure there’s a box of the movies sitting in the other Best Buy’s stock room – losers.  This side trip delayed my return home for a few minutes which I’m sure Buddy did not appreciate.  With my wife gone he spends the entire day in his cage which he seems to handle really well.  The heat kept him from over extending outside when I let him out for cavorting time.  He quickly decided he preferred the air conditioning.  He’s also continuing his assault on the family room couch in my wife’s absence.  I predict pain in his future.  My wife continued to share her Virginia adventures with instant message photos.  She had dinner with a bunch of her “Latin Mafia” buddies which I’m truly sorry to have missed – they’re great people.  She also bemoaned the oppressive heat and traffic that is a staple of Northern Virginia living and the two biggest reasons we no longer live there.  She admitted she missed New England which I know was tough for her to admit.  I also had a nice conversation with my son who is on a business trip down in Virginia Beach.  He almost never calls anymore (Proper M.E.G. focus) so it was nice of him to remember I was alone and we had a great talk.  Well the wife’s back in a couple of days so I’ll have to polish off the rest of the brownies and start clean up planning.  Buddy is handling any food that falls on the floor or gets reasonably close the edge of the counter, his version of preemptory cleanliness.
Wife Instant Photo - Interactive Fountain in Fairfax
 We Used to Love Watching Kids There
Wife Instant Photo - Latin Mafia Dinner
Buddy Assault Position 1
Buddy Assault Position 2
Buddy Assault Position 3 - Pushing Me Off Couch
Buddy Assault Position 4 - Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment