Saturday, July 7, 2012

Moving Friday

My Office in the Old Configuration in the Middle of the Move
This week at work was pretty slow what with the holiday in the middle of the week.  Ever since I returned to my office in November I was unhappy with the configuration.  I have a double screened computer and with the way my desk was set up I always had to look around the monitors when talking with anybody while seated at my desk.  Since yesterday was so slow, with only an information meeting with the union, I decided to move things around.  The biggest challenge was disconnecting and then re-connecting all the computer cables.  I took good notes and labeled some wires with tape.   I made the move fairly quickly and everything seemed great until I turned the computer on – nothing. Uh Oh!  I tried everything I could think of and I was still met with a blank screen.  I had already contacted the IT guys to plead my total incompetence when I just pushed a random button on the monitor.  Suddenly everything came back!  Apparently these high speed monitors have to be rebooted when they lose power and that was what I did when I pushed the random button.  I’m going to have to remember that button.  The winning streak continued when we were able to come to a new tentative agreement with the union on a contract at what was only supposed to be an informational meeting.  Not having outsiders or lawyers in the room allowed us to reach a quick agreement that left everybody happy.  Now we just have to wait for the union membership to vote on this newest agreement.  Sears had promised to call on this day but they were not heard from - at least they're consistent - consistently frustrating.  My boss wanted to celebrate the agreement with a First Friday but when we arrived at our normal watering hole we discovered it was closed for the week.  They’re having a huge, annual motor head gathering in Worcester and traffic was really bad.  My boss asked me if I could get around the traffic to our alternate First Friday location.  Beer had its normal motivational effect and I led my boss on a truly impressive series of back streets to the alternate location where we successfully accomplished the First Friday associated tasks.  I ended up the night with my favorite Panamanian enjoying the mystical pepperoni pizza of Zorbas.  We watched the Red Sox implode against the Yankees but we kind of expected that and enjoyed a phone call from our very contented daughter who had her husband back from his tour for the weekend before heading to Malaysia.  We have 4th of July party today at a nearby friend’s along with yard tasks, so the humidity is of course heading through the roof. 
New Configuration
View from the Desk with Computers Working!

No comments:

Post a Comment