Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Green Tunnels

Join Me On my Daily Drive
I have about a 25 minute commute into Worcester each day.  I returned to Worcester last November and didn’t realize how much I enjoyed my drive in each day until the trees regained their leaves in May.  In New England we spend half of the year, November through April, with leafless trees.  We are certainly recompensed with spectacular color in the fall but it does provide a bit of bleakness for the months we have to do without.  My wife grew up in Panama and the first few times she saw the states was New Hampshire in December.  I remember the first time she visited in the summer and burst out with a comment about how beautiful everything was when the trees had leaves.  She even said she finally understood why I loved this place so much, something she hadn’t been able to fathom before that summer view.  I have two routes into work, one using a major state highway and then the interstate right into the heart of Worcester.  The other route follows back country roads and deposits me on the far side of Worcester from my office.  I still prefer it, even when I have to fight through the traffic lights which seem to multiply in Worcester at a geometric pace if you’re not paying attention.  It’s worth it because of what I call the “green tunnel”.  For long stretches of the trip prior to Worcester I’m passing underneath the canopies of trees that reach across high above the road.  There’s just something relaxing about it and it also reminds me of the home I’m always looking for.  I’ve included some photos from my commute so you can see what I’m inadequately trying to describe.  Yesterday I did hear from the Sears guy, so points for them.  He did seem more interested in just checking in with me than really hearing what the problem was though, so I’m not getting my hopes up that any good will come of it.  He promised to call back on Friday, after I use the repaired tractor to see if it works as it should, so we’ll see.  My wife, Buddy, and I are heading up to Keene tonight for the 4th of July fireworks.  The cool thing about the trip up there, plenty of green tunnels!




Thanks For Joining Me

No comments:

Post a Comment