Wednesday, May 9, 2012

So That’s What All the Hype Was About

Last night was date night and since we usually go to the movies obviously we went to see The Avengers which everyone has heard so much about.  I’m usually prepared to be disappointed by something as over hyped as this movie has been.  I certainly was not.  My daughter described it best by saying it was like an amusement park ride – just rollicks along from one great scene to another.  I wondered how they would accommodate so many great characters and the egos of the actors playing them.  Joss Whedon must be some kind of genius because this movie totally worked.  These were serious actors playing silly characters and by playing them straight – the entire movie was a treasure.  How he was able to weave the story so that each character had his or her own story line and screen time was astounding.  The two and a half hours just flew by.  The theater was very crowded even though it’s showing on literally half of the screens there.  We had a five year old sitting right behind us who was kicking my wife’s seat.  The parents either didn’t notice or care so about half way through the movie I turned around and said in a very loud voice, PLEASE STOP KICKING THE CHAIR.  This had the desired effect.  Since this was so crowded I also noticed a disturbing trend where you had people texting throughout the movie.  When the theater is supposed to be dark we had this idiot in the row in front of us opening his phone and its bright screen every few minutes.  It struck me as so rude but this was apparently lost on him.  You could see the screens popping up all over the theater.  If I had the money or the intelligence I would invent a dampening device for all movie theaters to disable cell phones while watching a movie.   It was a real shame because they were missing a great movie.  I don’t want to add to the hype of the movie but it seemed to help with my back.  When I stood up after the movie it felt better than it had since I hurt it. Unfortunately it didn’t last and this morning I’m back to shambling around like an old man.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it, Dad! I really like the way Joss Whedon handled it; especially coming from such a strong-female background (Buffy, Firefly), I liked the way he carved out Scarlett Johansson's character more (Favreau just used her for her physical appeal, obviously).

    And there is technology that wipes out a signal for an entire room - and I 've known people who have used it going to movies! That is always the worst when people use their cells during the movies!!!

    ReplyDelete