Friday, May 18, 2012

Demon Running

Yesterday was a long day as I confronted my personal demons – long meetings. I’ve always hated long meetings and suffered through several yesterday.  In one, first thing in the morning, we had to sit and around and listen to an appointed official who knows absolutely nothing about the business offer suggestions so nonsensical that it strained credulity.  He was finally told to shut up by one of our more frequent and equally clueless critics, which spoke volumes about how far afield this idiot was.  I spent the entire afternoon sitting in the initial bargaining session with the union leaders on a new contract.  The fact that this session was the more enjoyable than the morning one was indicative.  I did finish reading Running with the Demon, by Terry Brooks.  I hadn’t read anything by Brooks in decades.  When I was young I latched on to his Sword of Shanarra series after reading The Lord of the Rings.  It was a pale copy of the classic but I still enjoyed it.  After I finished my last book my Kindle list was empty so I found one of his which turned out to be the middle book of a series.  After deciding I liked the book I went back to Amazon and now own the five books in the series and started reading the first, Running with the Demon.  It took me a while to get into because Brooks always feels he has to lower all expectations and make all his characters miserable before their final battle.  While I was at Amazon I also noticed a short by Nelson Demille, a favorite but achingly slow writer.  It was called The Book Case and featured my favorite character from Demille’s books – John Corey.  He’s a wise ass New York cop and Demille gives him some truly great lines.  Corey belongs in my pantheon of literary heroes.  That’s a list led by Travis McGee (named my son after him) followed by Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, and Lucas Davenport.  I knocked out the Corey short over lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it.  While I was doing that my Kindle notified me that a book that I had pre-bought was being delivered and lo and behold the latest Lucas Davenport book, Stolen Prey, had arrived.  So yesterday sucked because of the meetings but was totally redeemed by the trusty Kindle.  I may recommend this to one of my more gregarious friends, but I’m not sure he knows how to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment