Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Light Beckons at End of Tunnel


Salvation is At Hand!
For the most part I truly enjoy the area that I live in now.  There is only one true let-down and anybody who has read this blog at all will realize what a huge problem it is.  I am talking about the lack of a nearby movie theater.  I have to drive about thirty minutes to get to the closest theater which is okay except during the holidays when traffic is horrendous (and some of the best movies of the year are showing) since it’s at a huge shopping area.  It used to be that every small town had its own movie theater, you can still see them in most towns, but now as boarded up relics or converted to some less lofty purpose.  The multiplex cinema is responsible for the demise of the small town movie theaters which is fine if you live within easy driving distance.  If you live in a small town like I do – you’re screwed.  I love the amenities offered by the new generation of theaters although I do wax nostalgic about sitting in one of the cavernous old theaters.  I remember how my heart use to pick up the pace as the lights went down and the 20th Century Fox fanfare would start to sound.  Just after I moved into the area I heard they were planning on building a new theater literally three minutes from my house – I was so excited – only to have my dreams dashed when the planned theater fell victim when the economy went south.  I resigned myself to the long drives and actually missed out on a couple of movies that weren’t must see because I wouldn’t make the drive.  You can imagine my excitement when I heard that a new theater was being planned for a local shopping area only 5-7 minutes from the house converting an old Linens and Things that went out of business.  It’s where we do all our grocery shopping and banking.  I refused to get too excited, having been burned already.  A few weeks ago I saw the indication that construction was starting followed shortly by the banner proclaiming Cinemagic is coming to Sturbridge, MA.  I want to thank in advance whatever good angels were involved in answering my prayers.  I think I’m excited about this, do ya think!  It’s scheduled to open on July 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment