Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Battleship Davenport

Well yesterday didn’t turn out to be too bad.  The union seems to be approaching this with a different mentality but it is still way, way early.  Since last night was date night the wife and I went to see Battleship, which in a word is AWESOME!  It starts out kind of slow and I worry that the director Peter Berg may be love with Tim Riggins because of the long, lingering camera shots of the star, Taylor Kitch.  It was almost uncomfortable at times but I guess that was for the ladies because there was a hell of a lot of action for the guys – must be the new paradigm.  The last 45 minutes of the movie was some of the best action I’ve seen in a while.  The editing was kind of choppy and Neeson was severely underused but overall a great action thriller.  I loved the old board game of Battleship which I played incessantly as a kid and really wondered how they could make a coherent movie out of it, Brooklyn Decker helped a lot.  I also finished the latest Lucas Davenport book, Stolen Prey by John Sandford.  I absolutely love this character and Sandford’s writing style.  My only dilemma is that I enjoy them so much that I tear through the books at breakneck speed and all of sudden it’s over and I’m left wanting more.  It’s been interesting watching this character age and Sandford has worked in some supporting characters such as, that f***ing Virgil Flowers (read the books and you’ll understand that) and Davenport’s adopted daughter Letty, whom I believe he is setting up to take over for Davenport.   In this book Flowers is given a minor plot line that, as usual, blows completely up to Davenport’s delighted exasperation but they’re great when interacting.  Flowers is a great catalyst for chaos.  So, yesterday, against all odds, turned out to be a pretty good day thanks to two old battleships, the USS Missouri (see the movie) and Lucas Davenport.

No comments:

Post a Comment