Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Negotiating Quagmire

Later today I take part in the start up of negotiations with the union on a new contract.  It is something I dread with a white hot intensity of an imploding sun.  I always thought negotiations were about give and take but that is certainly not the case.  Granted that my experience is limited to just four different contracts that I have taken part in negotiating and it has all been with this same union so my experience may be atypical.  Basically the union refuses to agree to anything and demands major changes.  The “negotiations” involve going over the same things and agreeing that we disagree.  The union eventually reaches the point where they are going to take a strike vote and the politicians get involved forcing them and us to accept terms.  The “negotiations” are seemingly just an opening gambit that the union will always push to the point of impasse.  They know that their best chance is to bet on the politicians getting them more so why agree to anything.  God help us in this election year.  Luckily Massachusetts is a one party state so the politicians aren’t that concerned.  I just hate wasting time and wish we could actually, negotiate.  This will involve many hours of my life that I will never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment