Thursday, May 24, 2012

Good Bye Gregory

It’s the time of year where TV series finales are in full swing and although there are not a lot of TV series that I watch anymore there was one that was especially poignant because it also marked the end of the series.  House, MD has been a staple of our week for the last eight years and I was worried the ending would be poorly handled.  House is such a convoluted character that I was worried the writers would play to their lesser demons and send him off inappropriately.  My worries were completely unfounded.  Writing has always been one of the strengths of this series and that was in full view for the series finale.  The relationship between House and Wilson, obviously a direct homage to Holmes and Watson, was central to the series.  House the drug addicted genius ably supported by his conscience in Wilson.  When it appears House is killed in a fire I leaned over and told my wife, no way, this is not how House goes out.  I won’t ruin it for anybody who hasn’t seen it but the eventual ending was appropriate.  So goodbye to an old friend, Dr Gregory House, who departs for TV limbo land.  Thanks for some very entertaining years and for savagely stripping a lot of life’s hypocrisies out for full view.  You needn’t have worried – you were never boring – your greatest fear.  Yesterday was exhausting as I hosted a friend who was visiting work, which was fun, and then another four hours of union negotiations, which was less fun.  When I got home I started to crash on the couch for a couple of minutes when Buddy decided that meant I wanted to snuggle.  He’s taken to my sitting on the couch as a signal that I need him next to me – I think it’s something my sister taught him.  My wife thought it was so cute that she snapped a couple of pictures on him using me for a pillow.  In his mind this was telling me to get off my ass and throw him a frisbee or three which is where it lead.  I did get to talk to my son last night and for the first time felt he was allowing the distance between us to matter. 
Buddy Trying to High Five You
My Life as a Pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment