Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brazilians and Alternate Zorbas

The New Zorbas
Yesterday was an interesting day.  My boss took the day off so I was running things which including hosting a visiting group of transit officials from Brazil.  They were coming to see some of the new technology we have fielded over the past year.  I was just along for the ride as the technology company took the lead in explaining how everything worked.  The group flew into the Worcester Airport in a private plane so I'm thinking that Brazilian transit is a whole lot better funded than we are.  The leader of the group was a middle aged lady who was still very attractive.  Apparently business attire in Brazil includes skin type leather pants but I am not complaining.  It was kind of funny to sit back and watch as she charmed every man she came into contact with.  It was obvious that she was extremely sharp and was the smartest person in the group.  We had a very expensive business lunch (thank you technology company) where she sat across from the client we work for.  By the end of the lunch she had him all set to visit Brazil despite the fact that he hates to fly.  It was an interesting experience watching a powerful woman manage a group of men.  By the time she left she had them all eating out of her hand.  She kind of avoided me, I don’t think I struck her as an easy mark, or it could have been my breath – gotta check that out.  I had dinner with a truly powerful woman, my wife.  She decided we had to abandon our normal routine Friday dinner at the local Zorbas by joining a couple of friends at the Zorbas that opened in Worcester.  My wife promised the owner of Zorbas that we would go there someday and yesterday was that day.  I drive by the place every day on my way to work so I told her that I would meet her there instead of driving all the way home and then back again.  She vetoed that plan and instructed me to meet her at home.  She deflected all my arguments by pointing out that I would have to drive home which would limit my beer intake.  I bowed to the powerful logic of her arguments and met her at home.  The dinner was fun because of the company but the Worcester Zorbas was kind of a disappointment because they didn’t have the giant size pizza we normally order.  It was also grilled which I guess means it’s healthier which in turn makes it taste like paper.  This Zorbas lacked the hominess of the local one – seemed more like a chain restaurant.  Today we’re off to Rhode Island to help a friend move their parents into their house, we’ll see how my back holds up.  Buddy is excited because he gets a play date with his cousin Bailey at my sister’s house.
Our Table in Upper Right Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment