Monday, May 28, 2012

NYC Curbside Delight

Newly Married - Really Lucky Guy
My wife and I just returned from a quick trip to New York City to attend the wedding of one of my daughter’s best friends.  I planned on doing one blog about the experience but as I thought about it today I decided to split it into two.  One today about the wedding and another tomorrow about my impressions of the trip and attendant observations concerning NYC.  Today I want to talk about the wedding which was about as much fun as legally possible.  The bride is a member of an exclusive club which the members have self-designated as Curbside.  The exact origin of that title is lost in the mists of time or a jealously guarded secret – I can’t remember which.  My daughter is one of the founding members and we’ve come to think of the other members as surrogate daughters as well.  They are self-confident, strong willed, gorgeous, twenty something young women who dominate whatever room they enter.  They bonded just after college amidst starting out their professional lives in New York City.  Life has taken them in different directions but yesterday they were all gathered for the wedding of their sister and the charisma was almost too much to endure. I was a little hesitant about going because this is a very hip group and I’m about the opposite of that.  I shouldn’t have worried.  The last time this group and myself was together was for the wedding of my daughter nearly three years ago which is commonly referred to at our house as the best weekend, ever.  This wedding took place in a restaurant with dazzling views of the New York City skyline with the new World Trade Center Tower rising, and both the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.  There was a mezzanine level that overlooked the location of the ceremony which later starred as the dance floor (Curbside Girls Presence = Dancing).  The ceremony was unconventional but the feeling of joy and love permeated the entire process and that’s really what a wedding should be all about.  The best moment was when the groom first saw the bride when she appeared at the back of the room.  I was fortunate enough to be looking at him when that happened.  I don’t know if I’m capable of adequately describing what I saw but I knew I was in the presence of true love.  I got a little misty eyed because, as mentioned above, I love the bride like a daughter and I knew at that moment that she had made the right choice.  This young man knew what a treasure he was marrying and I was so happy for both of them.  Finding a soul mate can be tricky business but this was obviously a successful search ending the way God meant it to.  We were lucky enough to be seated with the parents of another Curbside gal who were also retired from the military.  We were only acquaintances before the wedding but I’d like to think we are all good friends now.  The shared experience of a military career both for the Soldiers and the Army wives who really had the tougher jobs made the conversation lively, nostalgic and totally enjoyable.  Both of our daughters were maids of honor and made truly heartfelt and moving speeches.  The only downside of the wedding were one of those stream of consciousness speeches by the groom’s brother that seemed to last forever and the fact that the restaurant’s air conditioning was clearly not up the challenge of the humid temps and this lively crowd.  Despite the sauna like conditions the Curbside girls were not be denied their night on the dance floor and my wife (Curbside by soul) were tearing it up for the night.  I was soaked in sweat and just trying to keep up.  I appreciated that they allowed me to wander the edges of their luminous presences.  I got to talk with each of the Curbside girls but in each case for too short a time.  These are special young ladies and I, once again, felt so fortunate to be allowed to wander the edges of their flame.  My daughter’s former roommate confessed to actually reading this blog, losing only a couple of cool points.  She’s now “involved” with the dancing star of the my daughter’s wedding which seems only right.  A wedding should be about love and a commitment to a future together.  I am so happy for the newly married couple – they certainly got off to a superb beginning.  I am simply in awe of the love and commitment of all of the Curbside girls for each other both last night and since it’s been my distinct honor to witness on a couple of two short experiences.  Curbside Rules! – the rest of us are mere humans.
Some of Curbside Gals - Daughter on Far Left
Wife, Daughter And I at Wedding Photo Booth

View from Window - Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Skyline

Curbside Girls Lined up at Wedding Ceremony
 
Seeing Daughter in Window For First Time Since We Arrived
New Friends at Dinner
Too Much Cell Use - Caught in the Act

Dance Floor - Wife and Daughter in the Middle of It - Of Course
Dancing Guy From My Daughter's Wedding
Together - Because I Promised Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment