Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Musical Trees


My plan after work last night was to start on my Favorite Panamanian’s newest garden retaining wall project. As she is wont to do, that selfsame project manager redirected my efforts. Some will recall my recitation of a visit to New Jersey last year where my wife acquired a tree I told her wouldn’t survive in New England due to colder temps here. She was undeterred despite both Wingman and I trying to convince her. This was followed with an epic drive back from New Jersey with the branches literally stuck in my ear. We planted the tree in the front yard.
Proud Dad - Said he Noticed How Big the BRS was
After the Arrival of BR3
While all the other trees are now fully bloomed this tree looked like we had four bare sticks stuck in the ground this spring. In a rare admission my wife acknowledged she might have been wrong but had a solution. She loves an eight foot tall Japanese maple tree in the back yard that was growing on a steep hillside. My mission, which I had no option of not accepting, was to transplant that tree to the front yard. The first step was removing the dead one, or so I thought.
As I was removing it I noticed there were some actual buds on the very bottom of the tree. Since I’d already gone through the exercise (significant) of removing it, I toted it around back where I would put it in the hole generated by the removal of the maple tree. My Favorite Panamanian took a break from mask sewing and came out to observe/supervise. She also noticed the growth and concurred (what?!) with my plan. I next learned that digging a tree out of a steep hillside while preserving the roots is not the easiest task. My airborne training on how to fall/land safely came in handy a couple times during unplanned tumbles down the hill.
Still Happens Automatically
I eventually got both trees into their new homes but it took a lot longer than planned. When I told my supervisor that I still had a half hour before sunset to start the wall she graciously directed me to wait until today. Now we’ll just have to see if the trees survive my generous application of brute force and ignorance. Man Cave time saw the penultimate film in the Bourne series along with the start of a new, Christmas themed (because, why not?) jigsaw puzzle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment