Monday, May 4, 2020

Bedecked and Bedazzled

I’m so happy to be back in the office today which is a marked departure from the way I’m usually thinking on Monday mornings. The weekend got off to a rollicking start with another group FaceTime First Friday celebration. I got my Favorite Panamanian away from her sewing and macaroon baking long enough to fully participate, albeit with moscato instead of beer. These family group calls are definitely filling the gaping void left with the forced closure of Brew City.
My Favorite Panamanian and I at First Friday
The bedecked part comes from my weekend with Deckzilla – which sounds like the title to a bad sci fi movie. If only. The winter, precipitation, and the morning sun have combined to give Deckzilla its annual spring appearance of gray desolation. One of my rites of spring is to attack said weathering with my power washer. Sixteen hours spread over Saturday and Sunday saw the job done although I’m sure my neighbors all hate me from hearing the constant buzz of the power washer. In corollary news, I’m getting too old to spend sixteen hours doing this kind of stuff, especially since part of it calls for me to balance atop the damned thing.
Deckzilla Sunday Morning with Just the Elevated Part Done

Monday Morning
I spent six hours on Saturday knocking out the elevated part of the deck assisted by a fairly brisk wind. I relearned the lesson that as you get tired you make mistakes, like forgetting you can’t shuffle your feet to get a more comfortable position when balanced on a slim 2 by 4 eight feet in the air. The less said about that the better. Sunday saw me back out there to finish the job which seemed to take forever. I polished off the last section as the sun was setting and found it nearly impossible to stand up straight after so many hours bent over. Now all I have to do is go over the thing once again to coat it with sealer to preserve the natural wood color which is why I do this every year. I’m painting the damned thing next year.
BRS dancing Away Saturday

The bedazzled part of the title comes, predictably, from my granddaughters. The BRS has apparently inherited her abuela’s consummate love of dancing. My son and ABFA have enrolled her in a toddler dance class which is meeting via video nowadays. After the class was over on Saturday she continued to dance around the house for a full half hour, intermittently demanding her parents put more music on with the call for “More Song!”. She was dancing again on Sunday when we caught up with them as, like most New Englanders, they were outside enjoying the first really nice day of spring.
FBR Modeling


Not to be outdone the FBR was also doing some twirling. My wife and I bought her a bunch of new clothes which arrived Saturday. The FBR was so pleased she demanded the opportunity to model them all immediately, while also dancing, of course. Making granddaughters happy is one of the true joys of grandparenthood. Although I did mention to the FBR that I found a multitude of small rocks lodged between Deckzilla’s boards. The FBR feigned innocence but I enjoyed it as it reminded me of her visits which inevitably ends up with a lot of landscaping pebbles on the deck.
Looking Scarily like a Teenager
I wasn’t the only one laboring in back yards over the weekend. Wingman attacked his back yard fence. It was in poor shape, damaged by years of bushes that grew into trees literally through the fence. He’s getting a new one installed but had to remove the old one himself, with very little in the way of tools. I felt bad because this is the kind of thing I would have loved to help him with but travel restrictions prevented it. I’m impressed at his work with a pair of small wire snippers and a shovel.
Wingman's Completed Project

007 Progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment