Friday, May 1, 2020

Crying Over Spilt Dog Food


Life has settled into a disturbingly mundane existence as we enter our second month in the quarantine zone. I made the fortnightly trek to the grocery store yesterday. I’m timing these visits to coincide with rain storms since that keeps the number down within the store. It does make for an interesting dash to the car after leaving. I also confirmed my theory that Thursdays are much better than Monday/Tuesdays when it comes to stockage levels. The inane things we’ve had to learn thanks to our friend – Covid-19.
The Penitent BRS
The things I miss most is getting out of the house to see people and, of course, movies; although the Man Cave does qualify as a theater in its own right. I really miss the dashes to see granddaughters or up to Keene to hang with friends in order to conduct reconnaissance for November’s pub crawl. I’d also planned a pub crawl for my retirement but both the crawl and retirement are victims of the virus. My latest puzzle, completed last night, was a relief map of the aforementioned hometown of Keene. A lot of fun, until I got to the part which was just green and a bunch of  relief lines.
Hometown Puzzle
My Favorite Panamanian has been complaining that I spend too much time alone in the Man Cave working on puzzles. She said we should play some board games. Wingman, as dedicated a board game player that I have ever met, left a game of Sorry so I emerged from the Man Cave last evening declaring we should play. My wife is almost as competitive as Wingman with a decidedly more pointed attitude. It did not go well after she started losing and declared I had to be cheating whenever the card I drew sent her back to the start. Watching her react was a lot more fun than actually playing the game. She is entertainment incarnate.
She Didn't Like the Revenge Part
My daughter is getting slammed with work. Her company downsized due to the virus and while she is grateful to be one of the ones chosen to stay on (another indication of her absolute brilliance) she’s now doing the work of four other people who were furloughed. While these are tough times for everyone I know she’s cementing her reputation as one of the “go to” people in her company even though it is painful. The FBR/Wingman team has done everything they could to free her up to work in her attic loft/office.
Working Off her Penance
The BRS ran into a little bit of paternal sternness last night during our FaceTime call. My Son proudly pointed out that the BRS was now volunteering to assist the ABFA with the nightly feeding of Riggins. The BRS carried a full dish of dog food from the bathroom to Riggins’ meal spot and then decided to pour the food all over the floor. She’s shown this devilish side in other instances and immediately knew she’d screwed up. She retreated to the ABFA while her dad spoke very sternly to her and it was clear she understood she’d erred. I could not stop laughing. Riggins, in a totally canine move, promptly cleaned up the mess as if this was a new and interesting way to be served. I think he’s given up trying to understand humans.
Too Funny
We had both granddaughters on FaceTime at the time and the FBR was quick to claim that she had never spilled the cat’s food whenever she helped her mom feed the cat. The BRS tried to get back into her dad’s good graces by moving her perch to the kitchen sink to wash dishes. She was so cute – especially when she donned the ABFA’s gloves. She was very thorough and intent about her work although my son did point out she was washing dishes that had already been cleaned. I don’t know if my sanity would survive this virus without connecting with these two each evening.
007 Progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment