Friday, May 15, 2020

BR3 is in the House!!!!

Actually she’s still in the hospital with the ABFA and her dad but you can all now understand my cryptic note about cloud 9 yesterday. The BR3 made a stately entry into the world very early yesterday morning. I’m not sure the ABFA would agree with me about the stately part but that’s water under the bridge. My Favorite Panamanian was hoping for a May 13th birth day because that’s veneration day for one of her favorite saints (too many of those for me to specify). Meanwhile the Anglo-Saxons amongst us were hoping for the 14th since inevitably it would be a Friday the 13th birthday party and who needs that.
Granddaughter #3
We all knew they headed to the hospital on Wednesday around mid-day so we spent that evening on high alert awaiting news, I kept waking up throughout the night hoping for a message from my son about BR3’s debut. When I awoke yesterday morning there was still no message and I texted my son, concerned something had gone wrong. Five minutes later my tried, but very proud son Facetimed me and I was looking at the sleeping form of BR3 for the first time. I hotfooted upstairs where her abuela was beside herself with joy at the arrival of another granddaughter. We’ve been so lucky with the undeniable excellence of both the FBR and the BRS that we could not be happier.
The ABFA related she was pleased when the nurse told them at midnight that had passed the threshold into the fourteenth. The BR3 was born a little under two hours later. I should be writing this after having driven up there and meeting the young lass but unfortunately that’s not wise or even acceptable given the whole pandemic thing. We had to content ourselves with more FaceTime yesterday afternoon with the BR3 now with eyes open staring adoringly at her dad. My wife claims I was making that up since the baby can’t see anything when less than a day old. I know what I saw.
Hopefully the title of this post will become reality later today as the newly increased family will journey home for the first ever meeting of sisters. The BRS was shown pictures of BR3 and wanted to hug the camera. The ABFA’s mom is on station to help out. We will certainly have something to celebrate today in addition to the First Friday of the Week. As with any situation there is a down side. My Favorite Panamanian will be going into self-quarantine tomorrow, following the same procedures as we did upon her return from Panama. Since I still go out daily to interact with the masses I am considered a potential vector. In two weeks my wife will head up to help out with the new baby and therein lies the need for quarantine. I do have a bunch of jigsaw puzzles that need completing – Man Cave here I come.
In a move that touched the hearts of the Panamanian side of the family, BR3’s middle name is that of my mother in law. I was excluded, once again, from volunteering potential names. I probably shouldn’t have suggested Covid or Pandemia, but there it is. My ever resourceful daughter provided some interesting facts about the BR3’s birthday. She now shares a birthday with: George Lucas, Bobby Darin, Cate Blanchett, Mark Zuckerberg, Amber Tamblyn, and Miranda Cosgrove as well as football players Frank Gore, Clay Matthews, and GRONK(excited about that one)!!! My daughter thought she’ll either be a phenomenal football player and/or genius. I’ m going with the genius part. The ABFA, no slouch herself, provided the best line about the birthday – “May the Four(teen)th be with you!. George L. would understand.
My Favorite Panamanian and I spent most of our time after work yesterday applying the annual coat of transparent stain and sealer to Deckzilla. This proved much easier than the power washing exercise but still did no favors to a sixty four year old back. We were happy with the outcome though. Later we caught up with the FBR, the individual who placed so many of the small stones I had just spent a couple hours dealing with in the cracks between boards. The New Jersey bunch was equally jazzed about the BR3’s arrival. The FBR seemed nonplussed about the addition of a new cousin and had earlier told my son that the BR3 was beautiful. The FBR had been taunting her grandparents all week with a slice of birthday cake from a neighbor, knowing full well how much her grandfather loves cake while also understanding he can’t have any now.
Deckzilla Ready for the Summer at Last
Pee Wee, their cat, who owes me a huge debt for not ending his life after an unfortunate experience in a hotel on the night he arrived in New Jersey, became my agent of vengeance. Their nanny cam captured the moment from the night before when Pee Wee climbed up on the counter and ate the birthday cake. I was very impressed with the FBR’s reaction. Instead of being angry she said she didn’t mind sharing her cake with Pee Wee although she did say, “cats should not eat people food” in a very knowledgeable tone. You can see why I love granddaughters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment