Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Canine Departure

I know there are people out there who roll their eyes in disdain when someone agonizes over the loss of a beloved pet. They just don’t get it and probably never will, something missing in their souls. The family saw the departure of another of its long time fixtures with the passing of Great Aunt and Soxfather’s dog, Bailey, yesterday. I know those two are suffering through this loss and my heart reaches out to them. I’m still not over the death of Buddy nearly three years ago. At least Buddy and Bailey’s predecessor, Katie Pup, are now hanging out together as a black dog clique over that rainbow bridge. Bailey was a rescue dog and must have done something fine in former lives because he landed in canine heaven falling under the care of Great Aunt who literally cannot deny her pets anything. He was well loved.
Sweet Bailey
Have Fun with Katie and Buddy
Soxfather, eloquent as always eulogized Bailey the best: “Fourteen years ago you came into our life, sweet and gentle and oh-so-good natured. We put you through a lot (psychotic cats, the rambunctious and fun-loving teenage years of a high-spirited young man, a hyperactive puppy at a time in life when you probably would have appreciated a little peace and quiet), and you accepted it all with your customary patience and good grace. You were somewhat baffled when, with me off at work, Great Aunt designated you as her good-luck charm during three Red Sox World Series and three Patriots Super Bowl championships; yet as nervous as her shrieks of delight made you, you were a terrific celebration partner. Even now at the end -- unable to eat, your liver and kidneys failing, shedding weight so rapidly your ribs were showing through that once-lustrous coat -- you'd lift your head and wag that stumpy tail at the sight of us, as if our very presence would make things all right. If only. So today we let you go. Godspeed, sweet Bailey. There are tears in our eyes now, but the joy and love you brought us will live in our hearts forever.”
FBR - Getting So Big!
I stopped off at Home Depot on my way home from work yesterday to pick up a load of retaining wall stone. I learned loading thirty of these things with a mask on is not an appropriate activity for someone my age. I’ll be using the stones to start yet another wall to encircle an addition to my Favorite Panamanian’s vast garden complex. That effort will start after work tonight. While I was lugging the bricks the neighbors across the street informed me they would be hosting a neighborhood block party this weekend. They’re in the process of selling their house and wanted a chance to say goodbye to everyone. We’ll each set up chairs in our front yards, distanced from each other. I’m guessing some beer will be consumed in this event.
We caught up with the New Hampshire bunch last evening as they were in a walk around the neighborhood with the BRS while the ABFA’s mom looked after BR3. The BRS had some very definite ideas about when the appropriate time to return to the house was and blithely ignored parental wishes in that direction. The one manifestation of her feelings about her new sister’s arrival (whom she loves desperately) is being a little overly sensitive when balked.
The FBR was on her best behavior when we called last night. I think her parents read her the riot act about ignoring her grandparents when they call. It’s scary how fast she’s growing up as we can now have full, almost mature conversations. While on the call my daughter recommended I check out yet another Korean movie, The Train to Busan. Since she was eminently correct earlier in the year about Parasite I watched it last night in the Man Cave. I was left breathless at certain parts of this movie. This is by far the best zombie movie ever made (is that even a category?). It grabs you from the very first with, of all things, a zombified road kill deer; beyond creepy. The plot revolves around a group of passengers on a train from Seoul to Busan as a zombie apocalypse explodes around them. Some really well defined characters explore class struggle and basic humanity as the group is whittled down. It also provides an excellent comment on courage and sacrifice. This isn’t just a great zombie movie, it’s a great movie, technically on par with anything Hollywood puts out. It scared the hell out of me. I also knocked out the next in the Bourne series. It was a late night in the Man Cave.
I’m also providing this week’s collection of Covid pandemic funnies:

















---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment