Monday, May 18, 2020

Another Climb of Mulch Mountain


The BR3 returned home Friday afternoon and was immediately greeted by the BRS as if she was the answer to innumerable prayers. The BRS wanted to hold her new sister as much as possible. My son and the ABFA were a little concerned based on the BRS’ documented treatment of some of her baby dolls. The BRS however was totally in love with her sister and vey emotional if asked to relinquish being near her. The weekend saw the BR3’s first nights as home be as challenging as one would expect for someone brand new to breathing air. She doesn’t like sleeping on flat surfaces and has what my son described as banshee level cries when she’s displeased. She did however grant them a 4.5 hour long sleep on Saturday night that has to be counted as a win. Riggins looked completely miserable, having weathered the BRS growth to someone he could basically handle only to have yet another baby deposited in his realm.
BRS Meeting BR3
The New Jersey bunch had a busy weekend outside as well. The Wingman had a crew in to grind down the major tree stumps in the backyard. He then had the unenviable task of tracking down and removing the remaining large roots. This is all in preparation for the installation of both irrigation system as well as a backyard playground. The FBR was out there helping with her plastic shovel and wheelbarrow. She followed this up with a spirited run through the front yard sprinkler.
Modeling a New Dress

FBR Helping Wingman in Back Yard
If nothing else this damnable quarantine allows way too much free time to accomplish yard chores now that the weather has finally turned. After another completely awesome First Friday group Facetime call with the family I entered Saturday knowing I faced the morning delivery of a truckload of mulch to cover my Favorite Panamanian’s vast garden complex. It was the same amount as we got last year but somehow just looked a lot bigger. I think that was my back talking to my brain anticipating the pain of loading it into the wheelbarrow and transporting up the backyard hill. I figured it would take me both days of the weekend to finish it off.
Front Yard Sprinkler Time

Exhausted After a Spirited Fight with her Toy Story Figures
I started in and noticed my work pants kept slipping down. I never needed a belt to keep them up before but with the recent weight loss that was now required. Since I was already fairly coated with mulch I knew the Favorite Panamanian would look askance at my entry into the living quarters. I grabbed a bungee cord from the garage and that worked fine for the rest of the day although I ended up with a welt around my waist. Six hours later the pile was gone and I was semi-astounded I got it done in one day. My back was making noises about an imminent work stoppage if I didn’t stop on my own.
Mulch Mountain Saturday Morning

Six Hours Later

Field Expedient Belt
While I was doing this my wife was transforming the yard with her annual spring planting of flowers. I was called upon to move flower pots and transplant perennials that no longer worked with her new vision of the complex. This continued into Sunday where I was knocked out a couple of other chores, including an epic crawl for the first time under Deckzilla. I was installing a fifty foot long drainage pipe for the rain spout on the uphill side of the house running underneath Deckzilla al the way to the other end of the house.
Mulch in Place and Deckzilla Re-Flowered
I was expecting to come face to face with the yard rabbits who always seem to emerge from underneath the deck but there was nothing other than a lot of mud and a stray Amazon package. I found it near the downhill side of Deckzilla addressed to the next door neighbors. It looked like it had been under there since January when it must have been deposited there by the hilltop winds. I completed the delivery while explaining to them where I found it. I emerged from the chore coated in mud which had my Favorite Panamanian extremely pleased we were socially distancing ahead of her term as BR3 assistant gramma. It was a very productive weekend but I was informed by my supervisor that two more garden walls are needed along with a lattice skirt for Deckzilla and the transplanting of a backyard tree. The summer really is approaching. It wasn’t all work this weekend as I finished off another 1000 piece puzzle and the first two of the Bourne quarantine movie marathon.
Puzzle Completed


Bourne Start
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment