Monday, March 19, 2018

Thunder Run to BRS Time

Thunder Run Gang

These times I’m abandoned by my Favorite Panamanian I usually look around for something to keep me occupied. I may have just about overdone it this past weekend. Since it was way too cold and the yard is still buried under a couple feet of snow I decided one of my patented thunder runs back to my home town was called for. Keene Friend graciously agreed to host despite being assigned caretaker duties for two rat sized “dogs” of another friend. We figured we’d be up against some serious crowds with St Patty’s Day celebrants along with March Madness in full swing but we walked into our favorite sports bar and had the place virtually to ourselves.
Pub Crawlers Behind us

Last of the Green Beer
We later learned that the local college was on spring break which explained the dearth of novice population. Over the course of the afternoon a couple parties of St Patty Pub Crawlers traveled through lending color and enthusiasm. The very best part of the day was the assembly of friends who made time to hang with us. We were joined in short order by the Cantankerous Friend, my best friend from kindergarten, Keene Friend 2 and his wife as well as several others. The green beer was consumed in suitably mass quantities as we convened to solve the world’s problems and occasionally check in on the basketball games liberally televised around the room. We singled Keene Friend 2 out for being seriously married as he showed up in matching sweaters with his new bride.
Keene Friend 2 and the Mrs. With their Matching Sweaters
I believe when you’re still young (something I obviously cannot be accused of) you take the assembly of friends and times like these for granted. Now that I’ve reached the august number of years I’ve accumulated I really treasure and truly appreciate these times with lifelong friends back in my hometown. There’s a bonding that growing up together indelibly marks you with. It’s the same type of feeling you have with cousins. I need no further evidence of why it is important to get together in that part of our conversation that afternoon involved two high school classmates who seriously dated for most of high school and who both passed away in the past couple weeks. Time can be such a bitch.
Being Measured by the BRS

3 Generations
I arose Sunday morning only mildly worse for the wear. I’ve got to stop eating spicy chicken wings late into these thunder runs. After a stately breakfast at Timoleon’s, a downtown Keene landmark, I trekked across the state to see my newest granddaughter, the BRS. I was greeted by a very enthusiastic Riggins who didn’t appear ready to relinquish his role as the biggest attraction at the house. My Favorite Son was on BRS duty following a feeding and the BRS was in what has become her signature grumpy mood. She was looking at her father with a certain amount of disdain as he tried to coax a burp out of her.

I was struck by how much bigger she seemed, forgetting that happens at this age. She can now focus a lot better and I was administered one of her piercing judgmental looks as I held her for the first time since she was only a few days old. The ABFA reported the BRS seems a lot crankier than some of the peer babies which I interpreted to mean that she’ll have a lot of personality, something of a trend with my granddaughters. I showed up with some whoopee pies and a fruit plate, knowing my audience and hitting both ends of the food spectrum, health wise. I only spent a few hours there since the parents were as decisively engaged as most new parents are and I had the usual full gamut of responsibilities back home to get ready for the work week.
New Buddies

They Both like to Nap
I did get a full report from my Favorite Panamanian who called from our beachfront condo extolling how warm the water was. I wasn’t ready to hear that but I was glad at least one of us was down there enjoying paradise. I also received some very good news from New Jersey where both of the sick ladies were fully back on their feet and in the case of the FBR, dancing. It was so good to see both her and her mother clear eyed and having totally vanquished the nasty colds that were dealing with last week. Wingman also looked entirely relieved to have finished up his resident nurse duties.



No comments:

Post a Comment