Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Mystery Spring

Granddaughter Fix

I was under strict orders from my Favorite Panamanian to hang her spring wreath on the front door today to mark the arrival of that season. She issued these orders shortly before departing for the tropics and following a weird February that saw temperatures in the 70s. Of course that was three (and counting) Nor’easters ago and I don’t think she anticipated having to peer over snow banks to see this announcement of spring. Apparently Mother Nature didn’t get the memo because we’ve got another 10-12 inches of snow scheduled to arrive tomorrow with this week’s Nor’easter.
So It's Spring, Sort Of

The tropically displaced spouse checked in last night to recount her latest adventures with our condo. Yesterday’s issues involved mirrors. My wife is of the stated opinion that no wall is complete without at least one mirror. She was aghast when we moved in to learn that not even the bathrooms were equipped with them. I can understand it in her case since she doesn’t face the same challenges I do when gazing into a mirror but that’s another subject. I was treated to a five minute dissertation on her machinations to fully furnish the condo with an appropriate level of reflective glassware. Unfortunately she awoke this morning with symptoms very similar to a malady I came down with a couple years ago in Panama involving a fever and some technicolor yawns.  I’m hoping she feels better today since I’m sure there’s more decorating afoot.
In Laws at the Fair

Along with my Favorite Panamanian

View from our Condo Yesterday - Still Pulling me South
I also spoke with the FBR last night who was in high fettle as she supervised her parents at dinner time. She refused to be instructed in the proper way to eat a burrito deciding her chosen technique of nibbling around the edges until the contents all spilled out was more effective. She also promised to send me some pictures but apparently the camera must have been buried under a pile of falling burrito debris. Luckily my Favorite Son came to the rescue with photos of the BRS so my granddaughter fix was achieved.
Looks Good, Even when Sleeping
The FBR didn’t want to end our conversation when she learned I had to leave to go to the movies. It’s hard to turn her down when she proclaims I can’t depart since she still wants to talk although this desire seem to only arise when I do have somewhere to go. I should have listened to her because 7 Days in Entebbe was terrible. Most people don’t remember the days when hijacking of airliners was fairly routine and in this film we are asked to forgive the hijackers. This is a millennial trying to in some way justify terrorism and failing spectacularly. The Israeli raid on Entebbe is one of the most iconic wins in the war against terrorism and will go do in the annals of military history as one of the most daring, highly successful operations ever. In something I’m still trying to understand there is a weird dance sequence spliced throughout the movie, including during the raid itself. This was a great story of civilization finally standing up to the barbarians at the gate and this film wants to minimize it. I’m sorry but seizing over 200 people at gunpoint and threatening their lives isn’t worthy of sympathy, much less even a modicum of respect. Thankfully, although masked by that weird dance, the terrorists did earn their doom in the abbreviated climactic raid. Stay away from this, this epic story is much better told through the late 1970s made for TV movies. This was trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment