Monday, March 5, 2018

Talkative Oscars

Daughter Ready for Oscar Night

As I have previously confessed to, I am a dedicated, some would say fanatic, lover of movies. The night of the Academy Awards is therefore akin to the Super Bowl for me. Since my wife has usually flown the coop for warmer climes during the winter I typically watch them by myself. I was therefore heartened that I would have her as my date this time for Oscar night thanks to the timely arrival of the BRS to draw her north. It has been so long I forgot one aspect that always accompanies time with my Favorite Panamanian. She likes to talk. A lot. Usually when I’m trying to hear what is being said on the screen. Luckily the Man Cave with countermeasures as it is fortified with a sound system fully equipped to out-decibel even my wife, dedicated practitioner of the conversational art that she is.

Daughter With Friends at her Party
We touched base with my daughter prior to the start of the ceremony as she was frantically putting the final touches on her annual Oscar party. The FBR tried to throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings by coming down with what her parents thought was a UTI. Just before heading to the urgent care clinic she mounted the bathroom throne and deposited a truly epic (as described to me by Wingman) donation to the porcelain god. It turned out she was only severely constipated and once the dam broke she was fine. Oscar memories!!


Darkest Hour Churchill Cigars
My daughter always prepares a snack menu for her party themed to the different movies up for Best Picture. I’ve included pictures of some of those snacks as well as the menu itself. You’ve probably already figured out that she inherited the movie fanatic gene from her father. She dressed for the occasion and had a nice group of friends over for the broadcast. We checked in with her quickly after the show to compare notes and found she had once again soundly defeated me in the prediction game – 13-8. Another aspect to having my wife at my side is the side commentary every time I was wrong with a prediction, she does pack a lot of spice.
Phantom Thread's Mushrooms on Toast (yech!)

Shape of Water - Hard-boiled Eggs

Dunkirk's Strawberry Jam on Toast Soldier Snack

Get Out Fruit Loops

Lady Bird Communion Wafer School Snack
I liked the ceremony itself despite its usual length. Jimmy Kimmel had some great lines and shticks. There was almost too little of him during the broadcast. I think they should remove the documentary (short and long) and the animated short from the big show as hardly anybody sees those and their acceptance speeches are usually longer than their movies. I thought the show would be consumed with an abundance of activism and #metoo moments and it was but it so well done that the message did not get lost in the telling.
Tiffany Hadish and Maya Rudolf were the best presenters, just funny from start (showing up without their shoes on) to finish. I had no issues with the acting category winners although Gary Oldman’s win seemed like one of those career recognition awards. 3 Billboards won two of those acting awards which were richly deserved and the Shape of Water justifiably won for Best Picture which I thought was cool since it was so out of the ordinary (and sci fi to boot). I wish they could have given out additional awards to Leslie Manville, Woody Harrelson, and Laurie Metcalf but the winners in each of those categories were equally talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment