Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Thirty Six Years

Wife and I Surrounded by Army Buddies 36 Years Ago

That seems like a long time. Anybody who’s reached their sixties (guilty) will tell you it isn’t and can seem to pass in a heartbeat. That’s how long the little Panamanian with incredibly flashing eyes and I have been married, as of today. It seems like yesterday I ran into this beautiful young lady at the Officer’s Club. I soon realized that her diminutive stature was the only thing small about her as she has a heart the size of a mountain which has come in handy since she’s had to deal with me for more than three decades now.
With her Dad

Happier than I Look

So Glad I signed up for this
I’ve told the story many times about meeting her on Friday and proposing two days later. I don’t know what we were thinking! Our families certainly didn’t think it would last. My sister always claimed I wore my heart on my sleeve when it came to relationships but in this case it seems to have worked out. She’s followed me all around the earth in the vagabond life style of a career Army officer’s wife and was always there for me. She also produced two of the most remarkable children who are now embarked on their own journeys as spouses and parents. I think they would each point to this incredible woman, my Favorite Panamanian, as a superb model for both of those roles.
They Could Still Throw Rice back Then

Under Strict Orders not to Smear

Wife's Brother and Sister

That Hairdo! What Were you Thinking!

Good Friends Traveled a Long Way to Support Me
I find it a little extraordinary as we’ve watched the marriages of close friends dissolve over the years that ours is one of the ones still stranding. We started out barely able to communicate with each other and with the not so understated disapproval from both of our families but we made it work. I remember this day thirty six years ago as I wandered into downtown David, Panama in my dress uniform and feeling like I was out of my depth. It wasn’t until I got to the church and saw all my Army buddies that my concerns fell away.
Seeing my future wife walk down the aisle in a hairdo she hated but nothing could quell those remarkable eyes which flashed unremittedly during her entire walk. I knew then I was in the right place. I didn’t understand a lot of the ceremony as the priest spoke way too quickly for my nascent Spanish but my future wife kept me on track. I’d only been a Catholic for a couple weeks. My main memory of the reception was having to sit on a pair of thrones while the party swirled around us. I know my Army buddies had a much better time than I did as young Panamanian gals flocked to them. Thirty-six years ago and it seems like yesterday.
Still Cute - With her New Abuela Sweater
The next generation of flashing eyes was on display last night when we called both of those amazing “kids” and saw the FBR and the BRS. The FBR was having none of her mother’s needed recovery time following the Oscar night party on Sunday night. She declared the need for a dance party and then set out running laps around the first floor demanding parental participation in the run. Luckily Wingman stepped up for my daughter who was summarily ordered out of the way by the BRS while trying to capture these exploits on video.
At Least Someone's Getting Some Sleep

Good Friends Stopping By to Meet the BRS
Similarly, if more sedate, the BRS continues her training of my Favorite Son and the ABFA. The ABFA’s mom was back on station for the grandmother assist role while Riggins looked particularly peeved at his lack of center stage time. The BRS seems to be alternating good nights with sleepless ones (for the mom) but always insuring the bad nights fall on a night before my son has to work. I remember these days all too well and only offered the advice that getting through these early days are more than redeemed, hopefully as well as my son and his sister did for my wife and I.






No comments:

Post a Comment