Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Pasted

The Weekend Superstar
The inevitable crash after a fun weekend that Mondays seemed predestined for arrived as scheduled along with a heat wave. That wasn’t enough though, the air conditioning in half the offices, including mine, was not working. I’m so glad that I’ve got this shiny new building to operate out of. Nothing, however, could possibly dim the prior few days accompanied by my stalwart young companion – the First Blog Reader. I’ve just got to hold out til Thursday when she’s due to make another appearance.
Getting her Catholic on - Courtesy of the Abuela
When I returned home I found the Panamanians enjoying the shade out on Deckzilla. After a quick conference with my Favorite Panamanian I launched on the final, and what I thought, simplest phase of the stair project. I bought some concrete glue and planned on gluing the treads onto the base bricks. That part went well until the glue gun exploded and launched the glue all over my hands. I always plan on getting covered with whatever type product I’m working with – as my long suffering wife will attest – it’s how I roll, but this was excessive. I figured I’d follow my usual procedure of completing the work and cleaning up in the aftermath.
My Hands This Morning
That was before I ran into whatever the hell they made this stuff out of. The clean-up ended up taking longer than the actual work on the stairs. I employed every single solvent I could lay my bespeckled hands on and the glue just laughed at me (along with my wife). I finally gave up and declared defeat figuring eventually the stuff will have to wear off. On the upside if this glue works as well on the stairs they should be bound together through the next ice age.

I finished off a book by the Master that had somehow escaped my notice for many years. Blaze, written back in the 1970s under his then pseudonym Richard Bachman was re-published about a decade ago and I just missed it. It was easy to see this was written before King found his true pace as a writer but it was still hard to put down. He takes the reader on a ride with Blaze, a huge, mentally disabled con who lost his smaller, but shrewd partner a few months before. It’s hard to miss the parallels with Of Mice and Men only King kills off George and leaves Lennie on his own. Since this is King though a heartbreaking series of events has a young kidnapped baby at risk and bodies falling left and right. He skillfully tells Blaze’s backstory while keeping the reader on pins and needles as to whether the baby and/or Blaze will survive. A great read but since it was penned by the Master – that was a given.
Can't Wait to See Her Again

No comments:

Post a Comment